Cant upgrade to ios5

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darwing, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

trying to upgrade to ios 5 (IP3GS) and I have the itunes 10.5.0.77 and ios 5b5 but when I try to restore in itunes (DFU) it comes with error 3194...

2. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

■Download TinyUmbrella from http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com
    ■Launch it.
    ■Click on the "Advanced" tab.
    ■Uncheck "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit"
    ■Click on "Apply Changes"
    ■Reboot your PC/Mac.

if you'd search the forums this has been answered already

3. arteggio macrumors member

I've gotten this same error, done the searching, and found the same conclusion.

It does not seem to work at all, unless there's some subtle step I'm just missing.

On Lion, Windows 7 in Parallels, and then booted into 7, I get this error no matter what, whether I manually edit the hosts or enable the box in TinyUmbrella or restart the computer or re-DFU the iPad/iPhone 4 or whatever.

It just doesn't work. I've read a few other reports like this, even though it seems most people have been able to upgrade to iOS 5, jailbroken or not.

So, is there another step to try?

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Does your Lion hosts file have a Cydia entry in it? I think depending on how your Parallels networking is set up, the Lion hosts will override the Windows hosts

Open a Terminal.

Type:

sudo open -t /etc/hosts

Remove any lines that contain gs.apple.com or 127.0.0.1

Save and Quit

5. arteggio macrumors member

I've never read anything about changing the 127/localhost address, which was in the Lion host (in Windows 7 it was already hashed out), but even after deleting it, no luck.

I also tried restoring while booted in Windows, with the two gs.apple.com addresses hashed-out / not there, but that doesn't work either.

6. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

yes I had done research on forums and didnt see any of this, HOWEVER after trying it again it still gives same error... anyone get it to work?

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

Code:
    127.0.0.1   localhost

SHOULD be in your hosts file

Code:
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Something that looks like either one of these should not be, either on Lion or Windows. The error you are describing ONLY occurs when it is, so there is something missing somewhere.

8. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

finally got it to work ios5b6 untethered on 3gs!!! YES so happy!!!!

HOWEVER CYDIA doesnt work.. i select it flashes and goes away.. I know there is a fix for this somewhere what do I do>

9. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

This happened to me before, have you tried respring/reboot

10. iFiend macrumors 65816

Try a respring/reboot.

If you're selecting Cydia and it immediately goes away I suspect that you are on a tethered jailbreak, though. That is classic "need to be booted into a jailbroken state" behavior :)

11. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

that doesnt make sense, in untethered because I can reboot without having to run software on my computer to get out of recovery mode..

secondly yes I did reboot...

Finally I am trying to install custom packages in sn0wbreeze, but they dont appear on the springboard after restore... anyone know why not or how to fix the cydia issue if you cant install a ssh terminal or anything from cydia?

12. arteggio macrumors member

First: how did you get it working?! :eek: :) Did you do anything, or did it just go through the process for some reason?

Second: To get Cydia to work, you need to use iBooty (or whatever other tethered-boot apps there might be for Windows).

I finally upgraded my iPhone 4 to b5 from b4 out of fear of expiration (I'm not sure when it is for b4), and once it booted up I tried iBooks — which worked! But Cydia, Safari, YouTube didn't... To get jailbreak access, as iFiend said, you have to boot tethered even if the phone will boot by itself.

I'm afraid I can't help you with custom packages though.

13. Darwing, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

LOL okay so I did that, and as cydia was updating i pulled down the weather notification bar... and it froze, and when it came too I had 3 icons LOL it erased everything. so im trying it again after yet again another restore!!