Cant upload via FTP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ak45, Feb 3, 2010.

1. ak45 macrumors newbie

Hi

Im new to the Mac so please excuse me if this has allready been answered. We have just purchased Apple Macs for our School and I am having a few problems. I can't get FTP to connect to my website. I have put all settings in correct as it works under Windows fine.

We use a proxy server to connect to the internet and originally I had a problem getting the email to work after some lengthy phone calls (which where of no use) I managed to get it working by putting in the ip address of the mail server under bypass settings.

Can some please help me get the FTP working on my Mac ? If you need any more info please let me know and I can post. Thank you very much

AK

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

What FTP client are you using? Finder can connect to FTP and will download files, but does not have the ability to upload. I've had pretty good luck with cyberduck.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually it does have upload, it just doesn't work very well. Cyberduck is a great recommendation, Transmit (not free) also works well and so does Fetch.

jW

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

ScoobyMcDoo is correct. The Finder does not include the ability to upload via FTP protocol. However, Interarchy is a wonderful app that mounts FTP sites on your Desktop with read/write access.

If you are familiar with the command line, then you have full access to FTP sites via the Terminal.

5. ak45 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried it with the Built in one in Dreamweaver and have also tried FireFTP in firefox. I dont understand why it doesnt work as I use exactly the same packages on Windows and the same settings.

Have just tried Cyberduck also. It reports a DNS Error: Connection failed

AK :mad:

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Well, then perhaps you should get your DNS setup correctly. This sounds like it's not an FTP issue at all.

7. ak45 thread starter macrumors newbie

FTP Error

The mac gets an IP from a server, this includes DNS settings. So what is not setup properly ?

What DNS settings can I configure on the Mac that would get this working ? I wish someone would help instead of saying is a DNS issue. Dont you think I know this allready :(

AK

8. ak45 thread starter macrumors newbie

DNS Error

Can anyone help with this or am I to assume Macs are a load of cobblers ?

AK

9. ak45 thread starter macrumors newbie

DNS Error

Well anyone ?

10. ak45 thread starter macrumors newbie

DNS Error

Finally Managed to fix the problem, after not receiving any useful help from anyone on this forum.

AK