Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Just picked up an ipod shuffle for gym/track use. I really like it, you can't feel it clipped on a shirt. Definitely a different feeling than running with an iPhone on an arm band like I used to have.

Im a little curious as to why it has a 104mb of space (labeled "other" in orange") and why it wont let me use the last ~75 mb of free space to fill with songs.

I tried turning off Voiceover and the "other" space was still unavailable.

The only reason I can see is the player uses the flash memory to load the software and buffer songs. Is this the reason?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I can't comment on your question... but I have one of my own.

Is there any way of advancing through your playlist without using the control on the headphone cord? Does that segment of the cord (with the controls) allow you to use any headphones... or does each headphone you use need to have the control built in?

I was looking at it specifically for the gym (the same as you). However, I do not like the apple earbuds, and prefer something more water/sweat resistant. I do not want to limit my choices to headphones with the built in controls.

/Jim

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.