Can't use alt+ in Quark 8

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by steve18, Mar 15, 2011.

1. steve18 macrumors newbie

Using Quark 8, G5 PM, 10.5.8.

Connected a mac keyboard (full size white) after spilling milk over previous keyboard and killing it and now can't use:
    1. Control+Shift to zoom in.
    2. Control+Option to zoom out.
    3. Alt to move the page around.

These all worked on previous identical keyboard. Only recently upgraded to version 8 after years on V4 and 6.5.

Have urgent deadlines to meet so any ideas to get these working again would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

3. steve18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Laird but think it's the keyboard at fault (just bought on ebay). With Keyboard Viewer open when I press the alt key the corresponding alt key on the viewer doesn't go grey as all the other keys do when pressed.

4. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Yeah that sounds like an issue. ;)

I thought it might be something to do with the mapping since the cheatsheet said command and you were saying control. Modifier keys across Windows and Mac have always been a bit funky.

Maybe it just needs a good cleaning? How old is the keyboard you ruined? You might be able to salvage it with a trip through the dishwasher. Put it in the top rack, don't use soap and turn off any heat options. Then let it dry for 3-5 days. This isn't a good trick for modern membrane keyboards but works wonders on older keyswitch style keyboards.

5. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

Steve,

I'm not sure about Quark Xpress 8 as I currently use Quark Xpress 7 but I have been using Quark Xpress since version version 2.1 and as far as I can remember (at least since version 3.1), control + shift doesn't zoom. Control (by itself, not using any other keys) is zoom in and Control + option is zoom out. Also the "Alt" key or as most Mac people call it the "option" key should allow you to move the page around. You mentioned both the "Alt" key and the "option" key in your original post. They are the same thing. Are you trying to use the "command" key to move the page around?

Sometime after version 4, Quark added an option in the Preferences allowing you to change the behavior of the "Control" key. If you go to the Preferences/Input Settings you can change the "control" key to zoom or to contextual menu. Before the normal behavior was to use the "control key" to zoom in but now the default settings is to have the "control key" to activate the contextual menu. And you can zoom in and out of text boxes.

Things might have changed in version 8 but I would guess that they are the same as version 7. Version 8 might have some different Preference settings as well (like changing what the "option" key does), it is worth checking into.

I wish you the best of luck.