Can't use Apple USB keyboard with iPad 2...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by peanutismint, Dec 19, 2011.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I bought an Apple camera connection kit in order to use my Apple USB keyboard with my iPad as I had seen demonstrated in videos online, but when I plug in the keyboard it either tells me that the device is drawing too much power or that the device is not supported... I have yet to try other keyboards - anybody know what the problem might be?? (I don't have anything plugged into the keyboard's USB hubs so it shouldn't be drawing any more power......)

2. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Why didnt you invest your money more wisely and just buy a bluetooth keyboard?

3. 1pad macrumors newbie

Well, I haven't seen the video, but I've just done the unthinkable & actually tested it with my old iMac style translucent G3 keyboard :)

As expected, initially I received the "too much power" message, so plugged in a little powered 4 port usb hub.

This time the "Cannot Use Device - blah supported" message. So, tap on "OK" to that, open up email, & start typing on old keyboard :D

Cancelled that, opened "Notes", & again works fine, including the useful characters like ® from pressing the option key.

When I pulled out the CCK usb adapter, whilst still in Notes, up popped the on-screen keyboard.

So, maybe you could try a powered hub? Actually, did you take the message at face value & not actually try editing a document?

Occasionally I've seen an "unsupported" message even with genuine Apple® kit.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The camera connection kit supplies very little juice compared to a normal USB port. Especially after iOS 4.2. I have gotten it to work with my plain Jane Belkin keyboard, but anything more complex will not work. (the built in USB hub does still draw some power when nothing is plugged into the keyboard)

The powered hub trick that 1pad mentioned will indeed work, if you choose to go that route.

5. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Ah right, so you reckon it would have worked on an earlier firmware? I wonder if a jailbreak (should it ever come...) will restore this option... As I'm sure you can appreciate, it's not really convenient to be expected to use a powered hub with a portable tablet device ;)

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It worked with very old firmware for original iPad, NOT iPad 2.

Just use wireless bluetooth keyboard.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I tried this on the original iPad back when it first came out. While it's a novel use of the USB port, it's precisely just that, a novelty. If you have an old USB keyboard lying around, then it might be something worth a try, but if I understand correctly, the OP bought a new USB keyboard for the iPad?? I have to go with the other poster who asked why OP didn't buy a bluetooth keyboard. Wireless is so much hassle-free than dealing with cables. Especially since you have to connect the camera connection kit, then attach the keyboard to that, and the keyboard cable, designed to attach to a desktop computer, is too long, and every time you shift the keyboard, the iPad tends to get dragged... it's very unweirdly, not a good usage experience at all.

9. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

No no no, I didn't buy a keyboard specifically for this; I just had one that i use with my desktop that I had seen on Youtube was capable of being used with the ipad, hence my aversion to actually buying a wireless one (I have an aversion to wireless peripherals in general; I don't move from my desk so have no use for wireless freedom, especially when it drains batteries constantly...!!)

**UPDATE**

I'm typing this post on my iPad with said USB keyboard.... I had a nagging thought about what was said re. using a powered USB hub since I had a hunch that a keyboard wouldn't draw too much power for the iPad's port...so I plugged my keyboard into a non-powered (passive) USB hub and low and behold it still works!! Bar a few 'nag' messages about how it shouldn't be working.... ;)

The only reason i want to use an external keyboard with this is for times when I'm not able to use my MacBook (for whatever reason) and want to keep writing an article or whatever. This way is cheaper than a Bluetooth keyboard, although I might be interested in an iPad dock if it would let me plug in my wired keyboard.....???