Can't use closed clamshell mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oferg, May 14, 2011.

1. oferg macrumors newbie

I have a 15" i7 macbook pro. When I connect it to the power outlet and to my lcd display via dvi cable it works only when the computer's "sell" is open. I tried to connect it via hdmi and it worked with closed clamshell but the picture looks weird so I don't want to use that. For some reason, when I colse the shell, while connected via dvi and plugged in to the power outlet, the computer goes to sleep and won't wake-up...

Please help me.

2. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

I have the same problem and get it to work only by tapping on the keyboard and moving the mouse to wake it up. It takes awhile before it wakes up.

3. oferg thread starter macrumors newbie

The strange thing is, I just tried to connect it via dvi to a different lcd display and it worked. It's some problem between my mac and the specific dvi port in my specific display.

4. schizbomb macrumors 6502

I can never use clamshell mode unless I have a keyboard plugged in/paired up.

5. oferg thread starter macrumors newbie

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC, instructions for which are in the CHARGING section of the following link.

7. rwh63 macrumors newbie

i asked this question recently in the apple store. i wanted to know how to shut off the screen when connected to an external monitor like a plasma tv. i didn't like seeing two screens in action. they told me to simply kill illumination to the screen using the brightness button. need to leave the lid up though.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How does that relate to the OP's problem being discussed in this thread?

9. oferg thread starter macrumors newbie

That is really an attempt to reach the left ear with the right hand. I can also put a box on my MBP so I won't see it at all, but that's no solution. They told you that in the apple store? really?