Can't use computer, the only thing I can do is register it over and over again

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by raychizzlle, May 22, 2009.

1. raychizzlle macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

First poster here, but I've been Googling, and I can't find a case like mine...

A month or two ago, my harddrive crashed and my warranty covered me for a new one.

Note: I have the latest generation that was Tiger OS, but after they changed my harddrive, they installed Leopard. Info is probably irrelevant, but might help.

Going on, this new hard drive is seriously giving me a hard time. Safari crashes a lot and %50 of the time, I have to hard-shutoff (plug the plug) because it won't let me shut down.

It was probably because I never installed any of the updates. So, I install all the updates and it tells me to restart, but again, my computer won't let me "shut down" or "restart" so I hard-shutdown and went to sleep.

Next day, I turn my computer on. I see my icon and I put in my password, it takes me to the "register your computer" process. Okay. I register. It takes me back to the login, and then I have to register again. It's repetitive.

What do I do? I literally have no time to go to the Apple store to get this replaced. I am on a full schedule back to back.

I tried explaining this to the best of my ability, I hope you guys can help. If I left some details vague, I can try to explain it again.

Thanks!

2. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

First, what are the specs on your Mac? (Processor, RAM, etc.). Your Mac may have been running badly because it just doesn't have enough processing power or RAM to run Leopard efficiently.

Secondly, now that your OS install is corrupted, I'd just wipe everything and try to reinstall Leopard. Did Apple supply you with a Leopard install disk? If you don't have your Leopard disk, you may have to resort to using Tiger. I just find it unlikely that your HDD is bad after just getting it fixed, but I may be wrong.

Worst case scenario, you may have a faulty logic board. If your computer continues to run badly after reinstalling Leopard/Tiger, I'd get in touch with Apple. If you explain that you don't have time to go to the Apple store, they can send you an empty box with pre-paid postage which you pack your computer in and send it back to them. Best of luck with your issue.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

to stop the Setup Assistant loop restart and do a Safe boot by holding shift on startup then when at the Safe boot login screen reboot normally and the updates will run.

As for the repairers installing Leopard, was this Apple? becuase ask them to send you a Leopard install DVD as you will have to downgrade to Tiger if you need to reinstall.