Can't Use Debit Cards?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by awestruck, Jun 15, 2010.

1. awestruck macrumors regular

I called my local At&t store and asked if I could come preorder and they said yes as long as I didn't use a debit card. They didn't give a straight reason why, but I had to have access to a credit card. Which I don't have.

The apple website is frustrating me, it keeps telling me my session is expired. AT&T won't let me past the upgrade screen, and the phone lines are full when I call 1800-My-Apple. What the hell is the deal? Why can't I use my debit card? He said even debit cards with the Visa Logo aren't allowed.

2. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

I'm in the same boat. Sucks, huh?

3. jpw16 macrumors member

jpw16

I was able to use my debit card over the phone with ATT

4. slsl0 macrumors member

I just went ahead and used mine on the att web site, no errors, but then again I dont think it went through porperly

5. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Seriously? Today?

6. awestruck thread starter macrumors regular

That's an understatement. I'm about to give up.

7. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

I used mine in store. Balance is already pending to my account, and I just got an order confirmation email.

8. jpw16 macrumors member

jpw16

Yes about an hour ago.

9. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

FWIW, I was told today at two different AT&T stores that they COULD accept a debit card, but that the system would automatically kick out the order once the card was actually charged, as they aren't allowed to take them for the iPhone. Neither store could explain why the system won't take them however.

10. awestruck thread starter macrumors regular

I payed for my 3G with a debit card. Why is there such a hassle?

11. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Hm. I might not have to go to Best Buy, after all.

12. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

I wasn't the only one paying debit either. I spoke with 3-4 other people from the 30 in there who said they were using debit.

13. L3MON macrumors member

my boyfriend just waited over an hour at the AT&T store and once it was finally his turn they turned him away because they would not accept his debit card, even though it can also be put through as credit....what a waste of time!! this pre-order thing is complete ********:mad:

14. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

That's good to know.

15. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

+1. Worked fine over the web site and got my confirmation email quickly. Wonder why the issue over the debit card? If they are charging them immediately then it should be a non-issue. If they are holding them till the units ship, then I can see where they may be a little hesitant as the money may not be there in 9 days (??)

EDIT: Now I am completely confused. The online store happily took my DC w/o warning. I got the emails. But I did not go back to look at the online status link in the email. I just did. When I look at my wife's order confirmation it says "Received - Processing" (CC). When I look at my order confirmation it says "Received-ATTENTION!" (DC). So I wonder, did the back end reject the DC but not the CC? For those that had their debit card work online, check your order status link in the confirmation email. Maybe it ("ATTENTION" is something else?

EDIT edit: Well I spoke with customer service (after about 1/2 hr on hold, which is OK). Apparently that red exclamation points means it is under going some sort of standard security review and I will be notified via email if anything is wrong -and I can fix at that time. So, wierd, but not derailing. Yet. 1 out of 2 ain't bad ;-P

16. SooneratND macrumors regular

The debit card thing is most likely due to your bank... certain banks have rules on how much can be spent in a day on a debit card (similar to the rules on how much you can take out of an ATM) to help prevent fraud and identity theft, which can cause problems when ordering big ticket items. Websites like Dell have the some sort of issues with selling computers.

You can usually call your bank if you are having issues and have them bump up or remove the limit for you temporarily.