Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drumprods

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Hi people
I have a mackbook pro with osx snow leopard, and i also have a small (big) problem.
I have two 2 external hard disk drives conected to the mac, in one of them i have a folder with about 35gb that i want to move to the other disc, i've tried everything, copy and paste, drag and drop, etc. and it just wont work.
What happens is that when i move from the disk 1 to the disk 2, in the disk 2 appears a grey "image" of the folder that i'm trying to move, meanwhile the computer is checking all files in the folder to get ready to copy them at last, but when the checking ends, it says that i cant copy the folder because theres already one with the same name in that disk (that grey image). it looks that this problem is only with big files. For example, when i drag and drop a small file like a photo, it's so quick that that grey image of a photo doesn't even appear and the photo is dragged without a problem, but with big files happen what i said.

Both disks are formmated for fat, so thats not the problem

Sorry for my english, and also, if this problem has been debated before

Thanks

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
Hi people
I have a mackbook pro with osx snow leopard, and i also have a small (big) problem.
I have two 2 external hard disk drives conected to the mac, in one of them i have a folder with about 35gb that i want to move to the other disc, i've tried everything, copy and paste, drag and drop, etc. and it just wont work.
What happens is that when i move from the disk 1 to the disk 2, in the disk 2 appears a grey "image" of the folder that i'm trying to move, meanwhile the computer is checking all files in the folder to get ready to copy them at last, but when the checking ends, it says that i cant copy the folder because theres already one with the same name in that disk (that grey image). it looks that this problem is only with big files. For example, when i drag and drop a small file like a photo, it's so quick that that grey image of a photo doesn't even appear and the photo is dragged without a problem, but with big files happen what i said.

Both disks are formmated for fat, so thats not the problem

Sorry for my english, and also, if this problem has been debated before

Thanks

I don't know if this will help you, but.
If i may ask first if there is only 1 file (35GB) then woah that's a major problem.

If it's multiple files, I'd suggest you make a "NEW FOLDER" *Name it anything you want*

Drag about 10-20 files to the new folder you made *Must not be bigger than 3gb's* just to be safe.

Then go on from there, the problem is... *correct me if i'm wrong*

FAT32 can't be bigger than 4gb (i don't know if it applies to FAT)

but if you were to have those HDD formatted in NFTS, and have the plugin called *NFTS For Mac OS X* it'll both read/write NFTS.

Let me know if it works.
Transfer little by little it'll be faster.

(delete the folder you dragged before, where you're getting all the errors, just fully delete that, and just transfer the 'little by little' parts on the new folder you made)

Man i hope this makes sense

drumprods

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
First of all thanks for the answer.
And yes i understand those concepts of fats32 and nfts, but i made a mistake, i'm sorry, when i said both disks are fat, i should have said both disks are ntfs already.
Still, ill try to do what you said (yes, its not a 35 gb file, its hundreds of small folders inside that big folder). If doesn't work, i will say something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.