Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tee2eye

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Alright, Ive got the early-2011 15" base-model MBP, with Lion installed as well as Bootcamp w/ W7. It was a pain trying to get rid of the whole recovery partition when I was adding W7 (Lion only accepts 2 partitions; therefore, I had to delete the recovery. I moved the recovery to a flash drive)

My OSX and W7 works perfectly, but my problem comes with iCloud. When im trying to activate Find my iPhone on my MBP, the Find my Mac feature in the iCloud setting is unable to be clicked on. It says "Recovery Partition Needed." Does this mean that unless I install Lion again, I wont be able to use the most important feautre of iCloud?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Alright, Ive got the early-2011 15" base-model MBP, with Lion installed as well as Bootcamp w/ W7. It was a pain trying to get rid of the whole recovery partition when I was adding W7 (Lion only accepts 2 partitions; therefore, I had to delete the recovery. I moved the recovery to a flash drive)

My OSX and W7 works perfectly, but my problem comes with iCloud. When im trying to activate Find my iPhone on my MBP, the Find my Mac feature in the iCloud setting is unable to be clicked on. It says "Recovery Partition Needed." Does this mean that unless I install Lion again, I wont be able to use the most important feautre of iCloud?

Im not sure how you had so much trouble.....I installed bootcamp the exact same way as you did, My iCloud and everything is working I have the exact same MBP as you....I even did a dual drive setup and bootcamp+OSX Lion 10.7.2 and iCloud working perfectly.....Lion didn't give me any trouble when I first setup my bootcamp, which was at the time when I only had 1 Drive in my MBP.....cause its a pain in the ass to install bootcamp after removing optical drive....ya if your having a issue you have no choice but to reinstall lion, just do a Timemachine backup, reinstall lion, just don't touch the bootcamp partition and you should be 100% fine. Now lion won't stop you or give you issues with installing bootcamp since its already done.

Tee2eye

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Im not sure how you had so much trouble.....I installed bootcamp the exact same way as you did, My iCloud and everything is working I have the exact same MBP as you....I even did a dual drive setup and bootcamp+OSX Lion 10.7.2 and iCloud working perfectly.....Lion didn't give me any trouble when I first setup my bootcamp, which was at the time when I only had 1 Drive in my MBP.....cause its a pain in the ass to install bootcamp after removing optical drive....ya if your having a issue you have no choice but to reinstall lion, just do a Timemachine backup, reinstall lion, just don't touch the bootcamp partition and you should be 100% fine. Now lion won't stop you or give you issues with installing bootcamp since its already done.

I have a lot of important things on my OSX partition right now and I lended my external HDD for a few days, so I really dont want to just reinstall. You may have heard me wrong, or got the wrong impression;

There are no problems with my OSX or W7 partition. The ONLY problem im having is when I try and activate Find My Mac. The option is simply faded out, with the error, "Recovery Partition Needed."

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Find My Mac requires the recovery partition. There's no way around that. Lion also does not have any trouble with the recovery partition when setting up Bootcamp. You screwed up when you went out of your way to delete something that needed to be there. Your only option to get that feature working is as the previous poster suggested: reinstall Lion to get the recovery partition back.

jW

Tee2eye

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Find My Mac requires the recovery partition. There's no way around that. Lion also does not have any trouble with the recovery partition when setting up Bootcamp. You screwed up when you went out of your way to delete something that needed to be there. Your only option to get that feature working is as the previous poster suggested: reinstall Lion to get the recovery partition back.

jW
I was told by many people, and seen multiple posts, about how if you wanted to install Win7 on Bootcamp via a CD, then I needed to get rid of the recovery partition? Supposedly because Lion only accepts 2 partitions; originally, OSX & recovery partition.
So your telling me to install Bootcamp, I don't need to erase the recovery?

Also, I bought my MBP with Lion already installed; how would I get it again?

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
I was told by many people, and seen multiple posts, about how if you wanted to install Win7 on Bootcamp via a CD, then I needed to get rid of the recovery partition? Supposedly because Lion only accepts 2 partitions; originally, OSX & recovery partition.
So your telling me to install Bootcamp, I don't need to erase the recovery?

Also, I bought my MBP with Lion already installed; how would I get it again?

OS X will accept any number of volumes. There's no 2-partition limit. No, you don't need to erase the recovery in order to install BootCamp. You do, however, have to go through the assistant, which will move the recovery volume.

You said you put the recovery volume on another drive. Boot from it and reinstall Lion. If you can't do that, boot the machine holding down command-R. It will do a recovery boot over the internet, and it will take a really really long time.

Tee2eye

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
OS X will accept any number of volumes. There's no 2-partition limit. No, you don't need to erase the recovery in order to install BootCamp. You do, however, have to go through the assistant, which will move the recovery volume.

You said you put the recovery volume on another drive. Boot from it and reinstall Lion. If you can't do that, boot the machine holding down command-R. It will do a recovery boot over the internet, and it will take a really really long time.

Wow, that makes no sense to me. I, for the longset time, was having SUCH a hassle with installing Bootcamp on my machine when I first got it. The problem was, when I inserted the W7 install disk, and I booted up to the boot screen to select which boot I wanted to boot from...the disk would never be there, because of the recovery partition. I went through so many threads about people complaing the same thing....are you sure I can do it? I dont wanna go through the hassle yet AGAIN...

Flyinb

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2010

I had the same issue then just reinstalled lion from app store and it was there, you will not lose and data or bootcamp partitions.

Tee2eye

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I had the same issue then just reinstalled lion from app store and it was there, you will not lose and data or bootcamp partitions.
What was your issue? The iCloud issue? So if I reinstall Lion through the AppStore, I dont lose ANY data on either partition? So ALL files will still be on my HDD?

ahdickter

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Wow, that makes no sense to me. I, for the longset time, was having SUCH a hassle with installing Bootcamp on my machine when I first got it. The problem was, when I inserted the W7 install disk, and I booted up to the boot screen to select which boot I wanted to boot from...the disk would never be there, because of the recovery partition. I went through so many threads about people complaing the same thing....are you sure I can do it? I dont wanna go through the hassle yet AGAIN...

Did you go through the Bootcamp Assistant program on Lion first?

Tee2eye

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Did you go through the Bootcamp Assistant program on Lion first?

Yeah, I followed Apples guide on installing it. It kept giving me problems by not finding the CD when inserted, because of the Recovery partition; after I copied and erased the partition, the CD showed up. So thats why im wondering whether I should even try it again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.