Can't use internet when connected through VPN

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LexieMSU08, May 8, 2009.

1. LexieMSU08 macrumors newbie

So I am using Cisco VPN client, and when connected to the VPN network I get files but can no longer use the internet! I tried once to use macs built in VPN but there are options in Cisco that I didn't see on the mac version, and it did not work at all. I am using Cisco version 4.9.01, on a mac pro 10.5.6.

This is a really frustrating issue and I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

2. danny_w macrumors 601

When connecting via VPN you are disconnecting from your local network, so you lose (local) internet access, as well as access to local servers. If the VPN that you are connecting to provides internet access you can still use that and it should be transparent. When I connect via VPN to work I lose my Time Machine disk that is connected to my AEBS, which is annoying since I continually get popup messages saying that the server cannot be reached. It would be nice if you could have a mix of VPN and local network, but I don't know how to get this to work (if it is possible).

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I know a way to get it working via Windows, use a better VPN client such as Hamachi, it allows you to keep any existing network connections and connect to a VPN at the same time, i use it for work all the time, plus its free.

4. Queso macrumors G4

The ASA device or PIX you're connecting to is configured to prevent split-tunnelling. Cisco VPNs rely on policies pushed out from the remote access device when the VPN client connects. It's part of the negotiation process for the VPN connection. The ban on split-tunnelling is part of the policy being delivered to your client.

Your administrator has configured it to protect whatever internal network is behind the device. You shouldn't try to bypass it. Instead find out whether there is an internal proxy server you can configure your browser to use whilst you are using the VPN.

Also the Mac's built-in VPN client doesn't work as it doesn't allow you to input the necessary group authentication options.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Exactly my experience. Whenever I connect to my work VPN using the Cisco
    client (whether on my Windows or Mac machine) I lose all connectivity to the local network.