Can't use keyboard to select boot device -- iMac 27"/Win 7

sgnhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
I don't think this is a Windows 7 issue, but a bluetooth pairing issue.

I was able to pair my wireless keyboard and magic mouse to Windows 7 using the unpair-pair-pair routine and they now work successfully in both Windows 7 and OSX. However, whenever the iMac boots, I am not able to select which drive starts up. Even if I turn my keyboard on, it doesn't seem to respond prior to booting into OSX--so while I'm holding down the alt-option key on the keyboard, it boots right into OSX instead of giving me the option of OSX or Windows.

I think this might be a result of the method I used to connect the devices to Windows 7 (unpaired in OSX, paired in Windows 7, paired in OSX). Right now my method of dealing with this is to have the system default boot into Windows 7... where I can then choose to restart in OSX. Otherwise I don't have many options, other than using a USB keyboard, which I'd like to avoid.

Anyone have any ideas? Or is there a way for the system to default to letting me choose between OSX and Windows 7 at startup without holding the alt-option key?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Please only make one thread:
The Rules said:
One thread. Do not post a thread more than once. Post a new thread in the proper forum. If the topic is relevant to more than one forum, pick the best fit or most specific forum and post it only once.
I know of no one way to solve your problem as I have no clue what you did to pair via Windows, but the alt option thing seems like something that cannot be bypassed.

sgnhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
Here's what I did in detail to pair them in Windows:

1. Unpair both in OSX
2. Change Bluetooth Adapter driver from Apple to Generic Adapter in Windows
3. Paired both in Windows, letting Windows search and install the drivers
4. Paired both in OSX

sgnhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
It must, because my wireless keyboard worked in choosing the boot disk before I was able to successfully pair it with Windows 7.

sgnhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
How do you use the remote to select the boot drive?

Nevermind, found out how. Great idea.

sgnhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
I'll get one at the Apple store tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.