can't use Mail at the airport

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Jul 31, 2009.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I'm at an airport with my MacBook Pro. I can send email from MobileMe but I can't from OSX Mail. Why?? Any work around. Says it send the message using my server which is my Mobile Me (.mac) mail server.
    Thoughts?
    Frank

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

They probably have the ports that Mail uses blocked. Most public wifi networks (at least if someone set them up who had any experience) have a large number of ports blocked to avoid people doing more than just simple web access. I'm gonna guess you're going to have to stick with using the webmail.

jW

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Same thing is happening at a condo we are at in Florida. They use Time Warner cable here. At home I use Armstrong.

Anything I can do to get OSX Mail to work here??

Cable works fine. My web mail works fine too. Guess I may have to use Mobile Me??

I have everything set up based on .mac and not .me. Could that be the problem???

Thanks.

Frank

4. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I also have an Armstrong email account and at times cannot send mail from my Armstrong email account that I set-up in Mail. I have problems like you at airports and also cannot send/receive mail using my Verizon broadband card. I think it is an issue with Armstrong mail servers not my Mac. My gmail accounts work fine when my Armstrong account doesn't. I have the same issue on my iPhone. I am going to call Armstrong when I have some time to try to resolve the issue. I will post if I figure it out.

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I set up my outbound account via the Road Runner/Time Warner service and it worked for me.
    Good luck with Armstrong. They are better than they were, but I still have issues too.

Frank