cant use my new ipod on my computer!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by girlie, Sep 26, 2010.

1. girlie macrumors newbie

i am soo pissed off, i spent $400 on the new 64gb ipod touch and i cant even use it on my ****ing computer cause i have mac os x 10.4, it says i need mac os x 10.5.8 or later to use it. so now i have a new ipod with a ton of space but i cant even put my ****ing music on it...i am soo frustrated! i dont wanna spend $180 on a ****ing operating system i dont even want, this is ridiculous.

help!!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

why would it cost $180? you should be able to upgrade straight to 10.6 provided your hardware supports it, or i'm sure it'd be easy enough to find a used cheap copy of 10.5 for sale on the 'net.

and fwiw, it clearly shows that 10.5.8 is minimum requirements for the iPod Touch, even on apple's website. /shrug it happens.

3. girlie thread starter macrumors newbie

can you help me find it because i have no idea where to look. im not a computer person i just want to use an ipod aghhh

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

you can get a 10.5 upgrade disk if your computer is power pc based because those don't support snow leopard. if your computer is intel based, you can upgrade to snow leopard for 30 dollars. not 185. technically, you aren't supposed to use the 30 buck upgrade disk for 10.4 but it works nonetheless.

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

This is why you do research into the device before you buy it, as a previous poster said, the tech specs on Apple's own website always has a 'system requirements' section.

7. RolyRolo macrumors newbie

Plug in your ipod. & if you search for "ipod_control" on your computer (start > search > search for files and folders, look in: ipod) & as it starts searching click 'stop search' and click include 'hidden files and folders'.

8. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I would suggest trying to upgrade to a white intel iMac (as it is the cheapest way to get snow leopard) If youre running 10.4, youre due for an update anyway

9. chrfr macrumors 603

He's on a Mac, not a Windows computer, so this won't work.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry, OP, but you should have spent 5 minutes doing a little research. As others have said, it is not difficult or expensive to upgrade your OS.

11. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Lately I have been finding myself more and more disgusted with Apple's business practices. That is a downright dirty move on Apple's part to make one of their most popular products not compatible with anything but the most recent OS from them. They just love to squeeze every last dollar out of their customers wallets.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It costs money to be Apple's fanboy. Give more money to apple and your iPod touch will work.

13. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

To be fair, the OP is running a 3-year-old OS.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would agree with this if Apple was requiring 10.6. Version 10.5 was introduced in October 2007. I don't think it is unreasonable for Apple to require having at least 10.5.

Agreed, it is time for the OP to upgrade the OS or return the iPod touch.

15. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

You're kidding, right? 10.4.8 came out in 2006. It's not a "dirty move" at all, but hey, this is the internet, where hyperbole reigns supreme. It's standard for a new product to not support old OS. How do you feel about PC gaming? Or other software?

16. apaulct macrumors newbie

Wow a circa 2006 version ... but iTunes supports WinBlows XP, circa 2001. So it's ok to support a 9 yo MS OS but not a 4 yo MacOS. Steve & Co. want to squeeze every $ they can out of you. Just like charging for the e-mail client on iOS v1 and the upgrade from iOS v1 to 2 and 2 to 3.

17. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

PC gaming is complete joke rip-off. My 2008 iMac that I paid $1700 for brand new can't play a lot of the games that have come out in the last year. And I can't upgrade the graphics even if I wanted to.

The fact that the new Ipod Touch works with Win XP shows how dirty it was of Apple to give the shaft to Mac users.

18. mchad macrumors member

Apple didn't give the "shaft" to anyone, get real. You knew when you bought an iMac it wasn't a gaming machine.

19. jbsteven macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue. This is how I resolved it. I called the local Apple retail store and spoke with a manager. I explained the situation that I just bought a new ipt at the store and cannot use it. They offered me the Mac box suite upgrade for like $40. Went home, did the install and done. They were very easy.