Can't use nor format memory stick

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lewis82, Oct 1, 2010.

1. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I bought a Memory Stick Pro Duo on ebay. 11$ for 4GB, it seemed too good to be true. It was.

The camera took a while to boot, and then said "Format Error". I tried many times to format it manually, with the same result each time. I then tried to format it with my MBP, but the computer didn't even recognize the card. In System Informations, I could see the camera, but not the memory stick.

As a last resort, I put it in a PC, using a Memory Stick (the old ones) adapter. The PC saw the adapter, but not the memory stick.

I managed to get a refund, but before I throw it away I figured out I should ask what to do here. Any ideas, or is this memory stick only good for the garbage?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What camera? Have you used any other cards over 2GB?

How old is the adapter?

3. lewis82 thread starter macrumors 68000

lewis82

The adapter came with the Memory Stick. It supposedly is a Sony card, but I highly doubt it, considering the price.

The camera is a Sony DSC-S730, and according to Sony, it should support it, as long as the data doesn't require Magic Gate (which I'm sure is the case with the photos I take). However I have not tested a 4GB card before, I have a Sandisk 2GB.

EDIT:http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/support-info.pl?&info_id=12&mdl=DSCS730