Can't use Transmission with my Airport. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rlnhrt, Sep 19, 2007.

1. rlnhrt macrumors newbie

I've been using Transmission for about a week and I loved it.

The problem is, yesterday I started having problems with my internet connection, I called my ISP and they told me that the service was cut off because their servers detected viruses or attacks to the DNS (or DSL, don't remember exactly) from my address.

They reestablished my internet connection, and everything works fine, except that exactly when i open Transmission, the internet connection goes off, if I quit Transmission then i am connected again.

The weird thing is that this happens only when i am connected wirelessly, I just tried disabling airport and connecting through ethernet and it works fine.

It's not really a big problem, I have the modem and my Mac in the same desk, but I'd rather be connected through airport (the less cables, the better) any ideas?

2. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

I have heard that some isp's can tell if you are torrenting and they will cut you off. Are you sure your settings have not changed?

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

some ISPs limit or block torrent traffic. Comcast for example prevents you from seeding. so you can download all you want, but they have something in place on their end that won't let you seed, so if you're on private trackers you'll have terrible ratios and get kicked off. sounds like you might be the victim of a torrent-hating ISP. which is a shame since there are plenty of legal, legit reasons for torrents (linux distros anyone?).

4. sulhaq macrumors regular

sulhaq

You can try using a torrent client that has ipfilters built into it. Not sure if it will work for you but I know that at least Azureus has a built-in plugin that blocks ISPs from checking whether you are torrenting or not.

Transmission is banned from all private trackers anyway because of it's horrendous announce rules.

5. JangoFett124 macrumors regular

Not true at all. Transmission follows the bittorrent protocol and is not banned at most private trackers.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

old versions were banned, new ones are not. and the filters in Azureus do not work with private trackers, only public ones, because they require PEX, which private trackers don't use.