cant use X509Anchors keychain?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macbooker15, Aug 1, 2008.

1. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

hello, i posted this topic once before and got no response, i need to figure out a way to access the X509Anchors keychain. I've tried my admin password, and even enabled root access, but that password wont work to unlock it. I need this keychain to be able to remember passwords and such. i tried deleting it in keychain access after copying all the files from it, that didnt work either. even when it was gone the programs still need it. I remade it and put all the same security certificates back in it, but the programs still cant use it. I can unlock it with keychain access, but i have a feeling its not the same one, because i cant unlock it. Please help?

2. macbooker15 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you sure that you are not fretting over nothing? The Keychain "just works."

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I am reasonably sure that in Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), the X509Anchors keychain simply no longer works. I've done enough testing with it, for things like CITRIX logons from a Mac and using a security cert for my own web site, to know that manually creating it and dropping certs in it never seems to work.

So the question is, why exactly do you need to use the X509Anchors keychain, specifically? Do you have a specific program that NEEDS to use that keychain? If so, would an updated version of that program suffice? (Example: Office 2004 apps use X509Anchors. Office 2008 apps do not, because they know it's gone.)

5. macbooker15 thread starter macrumors 6502

pretty much all my applications that need to remember passwords alll ask for X509Anchors like ichat, mail, firefox 3, and others.
    EDIT: Ill try to reinstall some apps

6. macbooker15 thread starter macrumors 6502

i think i know what happened. I created an emergency root account, then i recovered all the files from the account i had lost before, the keychains too. now the keychains are authed with the root account password. only problem is that i deleted the root home folder, and with it, the root authencation for the account that the keychains too. So the System roots and the SystemCACertificates. I dont know how to get them back though

7. macbooker15 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. dstranathan macrumors newbie

This is not true. From what I have been told (and read on MS's site for Office 2008 support and MS Messenger 7 support), MS apps might still need X509 anchors, even though Apple has made them deprecated in 10.5 Leopard. They didnt get the memo from Apple I guess. :)