can't validate package - 10.5.2 combo update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sp1keNARF, Feb 16, 2008.

1. sp1keNARF macrumors newbie

i've tried to install 10.5.2 via the software update and directly downloading the update. either way, it eventually says it can't validate the contents of the package.

am i the only one who is not able to install the update? is there a solution to my problem?

:confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any peripherals plugged in, or any apps running? What sort of Mac do you have? :)

3. sp1keNARF thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a 2.0ghz blackbook. no apps running, no peripherals connected. os is version 10.5, fresh install.

4. thisan macrumors newbie

It probably cause from incompleted download. Software update sometimes download the partial of file but show size in full. The interrupt of sleep and screen saver setting may be the reasons. Try to download file from the Apple site again and reinstall it.

5. r76h23h78 macrumors newbie

I think you may need to reinstall Leopard, there might have been a problem during the install.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's probably an incomplete or corrupted dmg file.. I agree that you should download it again. No need to re-install Leopard.

7. sp1keNARF thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies everyone.

i've tried re-downloading and installing several times, via both software update and directly downloading the update. every time yields the same result. :(

i'm not sure what about my particular configuration would cause the rejection of only one update. i've installed other updates (ilife, etc) via software update since. i don't want to reinstall the os without knowing that it's completely necessary :/

8. sp1keNARF thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i finally solved my problem.

it was so simple, i'm ashamed to post this, but hopefully it helps someone else:

i installed leopard 10.5 and download the 10.5.2 combo update several ways, all failing to install because the package would not validate.

the solution? downloaded the 10.5.1 update, installed, then re-downloaded the 10.5.2 update and installed. :)

9. priller macrumors regular

The 10.5.2 combo update should work fine going straight from 10.5 to 10.5.2. I did it today without any problems.

10. cfwillette macrumors newbie

11. Deadly.tears macrumors newbie

troubles while installing...

hey all... i had a vista on my macbook... wanted to install mac os x, but it keeps showing me the error: "mac os x coudln't be installed on ur computer, the installer couldn't validate the contents of the 'media files' package..." what could i do?!:(