Can't view apple.com videos

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matt3526, Mar 17, 2011.

1. matt3526 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have recently upgraded from a netbook to my first ever macbook pro. However, I am having a problem with it. Whenever I try and play .avi files on my computer I can't because I need a codec. So I downloaded DivX and the problem went away. However, since then my mac can't play the videos on the apple website. Some just load forever and some play audio whilst loading video. Removing DivX fixed the problem but then I can't play .avi files again. The same thing happens with vlc media player. Youtube and bbc videos are unaffected, it appears to be just apple.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

You can't play the .avi files with VLC Player? That is strange, I almost never have problems with .avi files and VLC, except when the .avi files use some strange unknown and old codec.
    Maybe analyse the .avi file(s) with problems via VideoSpec (I prefer that, though it hasn't been updated since 11/2009), MediaInfo Mac (10/2010) or MediaInfo (10/2010, there is a Mac OS X version to download, VideoSpec and MediaInfo Mac are using the same library as MediaInfo) and post the report here.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. matt3526 thread starter macrumors regular

I can play .avi files with vlc player, but the installation of vlc player (or divx) causes the videos on the apple website to stop working. uninstalling vlc player (or divx) results in the videos on the apple website working again but I can no longer watch avi files as I have uninstalled vlc.

Hope that makes sense.

4. simsaladimbamba

It kind of makes sense, but know, that VLC Player does not install any codecs, only Divx does. VLC Player is just one single file (a package), which includes all the codecs needed, therefore installing the Divx codec is unnecessary.
    I run VLC Player, Movist (another video player) and have also QuickTime (7 and X) and can play Apple.com videos without problems.
    Just drag VLC Player into the Applications folder and see, if you can watch Apple.com videos nonetheless. Just DON'T install Divx or any other codec, as they are not needed most of the time.

And if you have any problems with some video files in the future and are unsure what to install, you can this thread to ask again. I will find it, when I am available and can probably help.

5. RayN22 macrumors newbie

Hi Matt

I've had the same problem since I installed DivX on my new MacBook Pro yesterday.

I resolved it by going into Safari - Preferences,
    Click on the Extensions Tab and select "DivX Plus Web Player HTML5"
    then uncheck the "Enable DivX Plus Web Player" box.

Can now play the videos again from the Apple site plus you'll still be able to watch .avi's

Hope that works for you (if you haven't sorted it already).

Ray

6. iMackPro macrumors 6502

download the flash player for mac..

get all of three of these and then youll never have to worry about this again

Flip4Mac
    Adobe flash player
    wmv player

google all three of these. they are all free. and youll be set!