Can't View/Edit bootcamp drive in OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ImprezaSTi, Feb 4, 2010.

1. ImprezaSTi macrumors newbie

I've tried googling this but can't seem to find anything.

My problem is that I cannot see the bootcamp drive in OSX. The windows drive icon is not on the desktop, and I cannot see the windows drive in the settings where you choose the default drive. I am running 10.5 Leopard.

I had bootcamp running windows xp before (now I formatted and installed windows 7) and I use to be able to view files that were on my windows drive while in OSX, but after I installed windows 7, I cannot. Does anyone know what is wrong?

Thanks in advanced!

2. springyfox macrumors member

If it's any cancelation, I have the exact same issue - and just assume that it's how Bootcamp works with Windows 7.

Especially if you have formatted the drive as NTFS - then your Mac will not be able to edit the drive anyway, without either a terminal hack, or third party software.

3. smc333 macrumors regular

OS X does not natively support writing (only reading) to NTFS drives.

An opensource Linux driver has been ported to OS X:

http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

I believe you also have to install MacFUSE but I may be wrong.

Also, you need to be running the 32-bit kernel for this.

4. ImprezaSTi thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I kind of jumped ahead of myself. I am not really worried about not being able to edit the ntfs drive as I am aware OSX does not natively support this. I am just wondering why I can't even read the files, and why OSX does not recognize an existence of my bootcamp drive. Hope that clears things up a bit.