Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdcbear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
I just bought a new G5 computer, running OS 10.4.4.

I have an iPod mini which works fine, but I just tried to add some songs to my old 10GB click-wheel iPod (USB connector, not the one with the base) and it shows the iPod is charging, but I can't get it to show up on my desktop or in iTunes. I've got it connected on one of the ports on the front of the cpu.

Any ideas on how to make my iPod show up?

Thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Wait, I didn't think there was ever a 10GB click wheel iPod. If it is a 10GB iPod, then I think you need a Firewire cable, not the USB one.

However, if it's a click wheel iPod then it should be working. I'd open up iPod Software Updater to see if that recognises it. Sometimes this app has more luck. If it is recognised, then I'd try and restore it however take note that this will erase everything on the iPod. :eek:

mcdcbear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
In response to mad jew, there was a 10GB clickwheel -- says on the back it was made in 2002. I know, old school...

Well, I had already tried running iPod updater, and it still didn't work. I was thinking I needed a different chord -- unless someone has a different idea, I'll take it to the Apple store and see what they say. Easier than trying to call the Apple help line!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Umm, my understanding of click wheel iPod (also known as 4G) is this:

ipod.jpg

I could be wrong, but unless your iPod looks pretty much exactly like this, then it'll need Firewire. :eek:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Fair enough. I've always thought the fourth generation iPod was the click wheel iPod but that's not the point. The point is that if it's an earlier generation iPod, then it'll need a Firewire cable. :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 59
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.