Can't view videos in Quicktime on MBP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rpearlberg, Oct 20, 2014.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I have some videos on my iPhone that when I email them to someone they open in QuickTime. It acts like it's playing (the bar and time are moving), but there is no actual video or sound....

Any suggestions?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Sounds like problem at the other end. Macs or PCs?

3. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried it on a couple different Macs.

4. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

which OS X version is this? I know the quicktime on mavericks was always terribly buggy and they never fixed it

5. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

The one I'm on now is Lion. I save/download from email as a .MOV file and it opens in QuickTime, but can't see or hear anything.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

QuickTime is just a wrapper, not a codec and it sounds like the computers you are trying to play the MOV on don't have the proper codec. When you open the file in QT hit command+I and where it says "Format" it will tell you the name of the codec.

You can think of a wrapper as kind of link an envelope and the codec as the language used to write the letter contained inside the envelope. If someone sends me a letter I know how to open the envelope but if the message is written in a language I don't know I won't be able to read it. That's basically what's happening here.

7. montgomeryr macrumors member

Same problem in QT

Ever since Snow Leopard, I think, double clicking a QT playable file only opens a blank window but nothing happens. However if I drag the file to the QT player icon, it opens and plays just fine.