Can't view youtube videos.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skyblue1111, Mar 21, 2015.

1. skyblue1111 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new here. I was hoping someone could help me or at least point me in the right direction.

I am unable to view videos on YouTube. Instead, I get a black screen that says "blocked plugins" and it tells me that my Adobe Flash player is out of date.

But I had updated it last month when this problem first happened, and then 2 more times after that. (I would trash the flash update folder from my file and then download it again from Adobe.) It seemed to help for a while but today it started in all over again.

My OS is 10.6.8 and my browser is Safari 5.1.10. I apologize in advance for not being as tech savy as many of you are in these forums! Hope you can guide me toward a solution. I don't know where else to turn. Thanks!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Apple has started blocking older flash player versions.
    I bet that your Flash Player may be still out of date.
    You said you downloaded the update. Did you actually install it?

What version do you have installed?
    Version will show when you open the Flash Player pref pane in your System Preferences, under the Updates tab.

3. skyblue1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks DeltaMac. Actually, right after I posted my question I went back to YouTube and it was working! And I didn't do anything. But it does seem to happen intermittently and I have no idea why that is.

It's weird but I didn't notice the Flash Player update in the list located in my system preferences that you suggested I look at. I could swear I installed it because I went through the typical steps when installing software. Plus I could view videos again after I went through the whole process. It's very confusing to say the least...

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Most recent Flash Player is version 17.0.0.134 .
    If you have that installed, you have a Flash Player pref pane in System Preferences.

You can also check your installed Flash Player version by loading this page

5. skyblue1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checked it out. Yes, The Flash icon is there in the panel. I clicked on it and then the advanced tab. I noticed that there are 2 plug-ins not installed -NPAPI and PPAPI. I clicked on the button to check on updates and it is telling me that I need to install the latest Flash update. So that must be it then. Thanks so much for your help!