Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Since :apple: is taking their sweet time shipping me my new iMac w/ 4850, I have decided to get a Mini. The specs I am after are the 2.26 w/ 4 GB.

My question is on the keyboard and mouse.

How well does standard USB keyboards and mice (multi-button Razer) from my "PC" work with the Apple OS? Should I go ahead and get the Apple K/M? I also plan to use my existing Viewsonic 19" LCD and wonder if that would be OK too?

I do plan to Bootcamp into XP Pro.

Kind advice appreciated.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
In my opinion you are better off buying a low end iMac than a mini due to the better specs. Personally, I know waiting sucks, but to go from a 24" iMac to the mini is a huge difference in performance. It sounds like you wanted a great graphics card so at least get the GT130 ifyou can't wait any longer.

As for the keyboard, I have never used a windows keybaord with a mac, but I highly recommend the apple keyboard.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Yes to keyboard and mouse and monitor.
You may have to get an adapter for the monitor (MiniDisplayPort to VGA/DVI or miniDVI to VGA/DVI) and if your keyboard has special media/function keys, they might not work on Mac OS X.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
I disagree with an above post. Buy the high-end Mini at 2.26 w/4gb RAM. You won't be stuck with a display you'll never be able to change (iMac), with the new Mini extremely quiet, small, versatile, and as fast as any latest iMac.

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
i saw buy the low-end mac mini and upgrade yourself.

I disagree with an above post. Buy the high-end Mini at 2.26 w/4gb RAM. You won't be stuck with a display you'll never be able to change (iMac), with the new Mini extremely quiet, small, versatile, and as fast as any latest iMac.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
You shouldn't have any problems. I bought the low end Mac Mini for my daughter and hooked up her wireless keyboard and mouse and they both worked great. The Mac Mini comes with a Mini-DVI to DVI connector which we used on her 19" LCD monitor. The Mac Mini recognized everything perfectly.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England

2 GHz is plenty fast enough compared to the 2.26 GHz version.

math

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
I want it good as it gets from the get-go. Can't exactly change it later....

By the time 260 MHz makes a difference, I think you'll be in the 'new computer' territory anyways. It's pretty negligible in my opinion, although I recall nitpicking over an Intel Pentium 233 MHz vs. a 266 eleven years ago.

How times have changed!

I'll second the suggestions to get the 2 GHz model and upgrade the RAM yourself. I have a previous gen Mac Mini decked with 4GB RAM, and the only bottleneck is the video card.

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
So your saying that a mini can function as a users primary computer as opposed to a secondary one? Most reviews I 've read suggest it is best suited as a secondary machine due in part but not entirely due to the 9400m graphics.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
So your saying that a mini can function as a users primary computer as opposed to a secondary one? Most reviews I 've read suggest it is best suited as a secondary machine due in part but not entirely due to the 9400m graphics.

It's my one and only primary computer and functions beautifully. The graphics card is top notch. People here have reported that the current Mini is fast, zippy, and performs as well as their latest iMacs. So I'm not sure where the myth comes from that because it doesn't have a monitor tethered to it, that it's somehow a poor performer.

Omni Geno

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA, USA
You shouldn't have any problems. I bought the low end Mac Mini for my daughter and hooked up her wireless keyboard and mouse and they both worked great. The Mac Mini comes with a Mini-DVI to DVI connector which we used on her 19" LCD monitor. The Mac Mini recognized everything perfectly.

I just wanted to reiterate this. Chris is right: the Mini comes with a mini-DVI to DVI adapter. With all the talk before about Apple no longer providing adapters for their somewhat nonstandard ports, I just totally assumed this was the case when we bought our Mini last month. I didn't think to check the specs page. We bought an adapter from Monoprice and since the Mini came with one, I have an extra mini-DVI to DVI adapter that I have no use for.

Pretty stupid of me. But you know, I'd rather have two than none, eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.