Can't wait any longer...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Dec 17, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah, yeah, yeah!!
    I know the new machines will be release soon but my work is piling up!! With the crappy economy, I can't afford to loose work never mind clients. And with the great exchange rate, I feel I've saved a small fortune:)

So, yeah, can't wait any more!!
    I've brought myself another MacPro... It's exactly the same model but faster and with some added tweaks. Finalised specs including customization:

• MacPro 3.20
    • 2Gb RAM
    • Apple's SuperDrive (removed)
    • nVidia 8800 GT 512Mb (slot 1)

+ 18GB RAM (totalling 20GB)
    + ATI HD 3780 DDR4 512Mb (slot 2)
    + WD 1TB Black x5 (RAID 5)
    + CalDigit RaidCard with iPass Flex & Battery
    + Panasonic SATA Blu-Ray Writer

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Although I still can't shake the feeling that you're mad to have done it just weeks away from the very possible introduction of a new super duper model...at least you got a good deal, and no matter what that is still a very nice machine :cool: :)

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I use my machine professionally, to make money and I don't expect the new MacPro to be out till March 2009, at the earliest!
    I think, if i wait till then, I'll be out of a job!! Possibly joining the two million brits seeking dole!!

..besides, by the time the new machine hits the stores, I should of made enough money to upgrade, if needed.

Umm... By the way.... Have you seen the prices for the DDR3 modules? 12Gb (4x3) of PC memory comes in at £802.69!!! OUCH!! :( I can only imagine the refreshed MacPro's will be using the ECC versions that will cost more!! Possibly a hell of alot more!! Maybe £1000+? I hate to think how much 20Gb would be.

4. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

The 2GB modules are much cheaper. 6GB (3x2GB) is £165:60 inc VAT from Scan
    (Corsair PC3 106666) which would be £330 for 12GB.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/6GB-...1333)-240-Pin-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24

If the new Mac Pro has 9 slots (3 Banks of 3) then you could put 18GB in it with 2GB modules.

5. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I honestly don't think that would work in a MacPro, simply because it's non-ECC. All previous Mac's based on server technology had always used ECC memory. Oh don't forget... it's for an Apple. Chances are it'll be a little odd/different from the regular PC.

6. ObaMaciden macrumors member

ObaMaciden

Sounds like a smart business move. I pulled the trigger last month and no regrets.:D I'm betting that the earliest one could get a Nehalem MP up and running is around beginning of April.

I'm planning to hold on to my 2008 MP for a year, unless Nehalem turns out to be at least 1.5x better in overall performance and can use major video card upgrades.

7. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

I wasn't suggesting it was the right RAM for a future, not yet announced, Mac Pro, I was just highlighting it to show that 2GB modules are cheaper than 4GB modules. (I happen to look at it when costing up a Core i7 desktop.) I've not looked into the difference between ECC and non-ECC memory in terms of prices. I thought that the big extra expense on the current Mac Pros was down to them being FB-DIMMs which require an extra controller/buffer chip on each board to convert serial back to parallel for the chips themselves. (It is the buffer chips that require the massive heat sinking as well, as they get very hot so the new machines shouldn't need that.)

Anyway, we'll have to wait and see (those of us who don't have an urgent commercial reason to buy now - you seem to have made the sensible choice given your circumstances. Waiting is like a gambling addiction - just wait a little bit more and a wonderful new machine will appear....:rolleyes:)

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

and if you wait a little bit longer (maybe 6months?) Intel will undoubtedly introduce a even faster version! :eek:

9. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks dude. The thing is... less than 4 weeks ago I sold my MacPro 2.8, which had similar specs. I only retained the Memory as most of it was in 4Gb modules plus the expensive raid card.

10. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Very Nice Configuration

Very Nice System,

I have been looking at Expercom.com on there bundled systems, currently using a MBP 15.4 and it runs great , just looking at getting back into a desktop. Waiting is going to get you the latest and greatest and give Apple more money the way I see it.

I am not a Graphic artist nor video editor, web design here and there, but mainly home use. Justifying the cost is hard. I see so many of these on eBay and it seems either people get in over there head or get bored with it.

11. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Congrats! I hope you enjoy using this wonderful machine.

12. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Bored? How can they be bored? It's an Mac. I find using the system for work, a pleasure! So much so, it's also my play thing on my off day.

Thanks Dude!! Just hope it can keep my job throughout the economic turmoil cause without it, all this would of been an expensive investment for nothing! :(:(:(

13. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

You bought yourself another Mac Pro? What was the first Mac Pro for and what is the second Mac Pro going to be used for?

14. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Wow. Just wow.

I am now in my last semester of school. Just a few months to go before I move to full time salary and can afford something like this.

Congrats!

15. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Love the exchange rates!!!

I brought the first one while working and living in Japan.... MacPro 2.8 populated with 20Gb RAM and all the above. Now, due to it's weight and all my digital camera equipment, it didn't make financial sense to send it overseas. So I sold it! :D With the money, I brought pound sterling at the lowest going rate and purchased yet another MacPro!! This one is their flagship model, customized to suit. The greatest thing!! I still have change for further upgrades!! Woot! :):)

Oh... I hope school did you more good than me! I didn't complete university, kinda quit after 19 months of shear BS. Justr as well... No debts to repay!! Thanks God!

16. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

TNT I fookin' hate you!!! :mad:

My customized system just arrived. The TNT guy handed me their handheld delivery thing and didn't show me the item. Now I'm not born yesterday.. I wanna see the state of the goods before I'm signing anything. After asking the guy, he presented me with the said MacPro.

It's arrived in a the black box without any outer packaging. Is this normal? In Japan there's a clear cellophane wrap. Checking the box, I discovered it looks like it's been man handled by a bunch of drunken louts. Immediately I said "Sorry, I'm not accepting it."

The thing looks like it's been poorly handled, tossed about without due care!! :( The box is cardboard is ripped around the top, sealing tape is damaged and there's a gaping hole on the side like something else dropped on it.. :eek: and the bottom of the box looks like it's been dropped from a great height. I'm pretty sure boxes should have eight corners, this one has seven. WTF!! :mad: I don't wanna even thing about the contents....

17. 3runjosh macrumors member

OH dude that is heavy, what was his response when you told him you're not accepting it hahaha.

I got my macbook pro through TNT customised and it was in a normal cardboard box with the propper box inside, didn't look like a spec of dust had touched it so that was a good experience for me also got my ipod touch through tnt also no dust haha I guess you just got an unlucky ****** workperson deliver yours.

18. Sonic macrumors regular

I had exactly the same experience when I bought my new MP last week. not only that but TNT had failed to deliver five days in a row even though they assured me each day it would be coming the next, causing me to stay late at work every day. The delivery progress showed a catalogue of disasters - road accidents, sick drivers etc...

Not sure what to do really, the box is in terrible shape, but I need to use the machine, and can't afford any more wait... It seems to be running fine... What would you good folk at MR do?

[Edit: should also mention when it actually got delivered, the guy pretty much threw it onto the floor. I was halfway through saying 'please be careful with i....' I'll certainly never use TNT again!]

19. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... Personally I don't wanna think about keeping a sub£3000 system, especially if it's been dropped, kicked and tossed about. God only knows what sort of damages the hardware may of endured from various sudden stops.

I contacted Apple immediately, quoting them my order number while filing a complaint. I'm sure they'll be performing swift actions to have TNT pay for any damages.

20. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

People never cease to amaze me. Especially those in the delivery industry. Why do they think it's okay to just toss packages around? Especially one that is clearly a computer inside! Unbelievable.

I'm a little surprised you jumped back into a MP so soon after selling your previous one, but I'm sure you didn't lose too much on the trade and you did up your system so... welcome back to MP heaven!

And you left Japan? How long were you there and do you miss it?

21. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh.. I missed Japan the moment I left! :( I miss the food, their drinks (oishi shochu) all my friends, the culture and their fantastic public transport system. It happens every time but I can at least look forwards to going back, cause it ain't long before I'm hoping back over. I just think about all the air-miles i get. :D

22. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

20 gigs of RAM is that really necessary? lol but congrats and have fun with your new machine.

ChrisN

23. mr. who? macrumors newbie

No worries, I pulled the trigger on one today too.

I run a recording studio, and I was concerned that some of the hardware audio cards won't be compatible. I know this was an issue with the last hardware / processor revision. Probably different circumstances, but still, I wouldn't risk it - I would be out of a job too!

Good luck with that new machine! Mine should be here in a few days.

24. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Congrats to you!!

And to think all those people waiting around for the latest MP... IMO, what a complete waste of time and money (in the sense: they'll be missing out, if they're professionals.)

25. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

quite true, i had a 2006 macpro quad that was still a monster of a machine.
    upgraded to the 2008 8core for my small studio as a multipurpose system (graphics and design, video & post, and audio and composition) yeah....all that plus more.

i think software really needs to catch up with the hardware before i upgrade at all. i think i have a pretty steady and perfect machine here; great specs, great consistency & handles all my work load.

Honestly alot of professionals dont even use the latest and greatest (a tip i learned is let it soak in before upgrading your making a total change to your set up), ive seen a bunch power cruch first gen MBs, MBPs and MPs for live performances, recording and day to day necessities.

The one thing im looking forward to is a potential MBP 17" High-res with the hybrid GPUs so i can have a pretty relative portable to the desktop.