Can't wait any more for MBP....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by swamesp, Mar 2, 2010.

1. swamesp macrumors regular

Hi to all MR readers,

I've been a silent spectator of this forum. My story shortly as, I was waiting for an update to MBP and it seems to be invisible even at horizon. I use to be like "Ok let me buy when I need it" and now the need has come. I'm now in a position to have to laptop at the earliest.

I'd love to have an MBP but as the latest is not available I'd like to go for a supplement PC that is "little" cheap and I cant invest $1000 on both mac and PC. So anything around $450-550 should be good for me at this time.

Please suggest me a brand/model name. I don't need anything awesome in it, as it will be used only for browsing, light to medium photo editing and listening to music.

Looking forward to your help.

Thanks everybody.

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

The present Mac Book Pro's are powerful machines, proven in the field with excellent battery life. Yes at some point a new laptop will be released that will be a bit more powerful, but to be honest from your stated uses, the present range of MBP is overkill for what you need. Even if you wait for the new ones, in 9 months time Apple will probably release something to replace that, so don't get worked up with waiting go and buy one of the current models if you want a new Mac Laptop.

3. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

Out of desperation all that comes is frustration. Just wait you will be satisfied.

4. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

No the main use of mac would be to record live songs played by the band and edit, mix or whatever. The above operations are for the PC that I could buy. :rolleyes:

5. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I can wait but not till June. :mad:

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So, are you getting both, a MBP and a cheap PC? As for PC, I can tell you to stay away from Acer and Compaq. Both are just crap. I've always liked Lenovo and they make very good laptops. I've used ASUS motherboards for years and can't complain and have heard good things of their laptops as well.

My advice is to avoid the cheapest ones. Pay few 10$ more and get better

7. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, planning to buy both. PC for time being and then later use the MAC.

How about Dell and HP?

I have heard many bad stories from Sony too. Yeah I know their top models are good but I'm not buying from that section. ;)

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dell and HP are IMO mid-range, so they would be good for you. Dell is the most popular and they are quite good. All cheap ones aren't that great so the brand doesn't really matter, but stay away from Acer! :D

9. jss273nyc macrumors newbie

I'm waiting too...and quite upset....

I have an October 2005 Powerbook 15.4 which is in severe need of upgrading. I feel like I'm watching a whole slew of PC's get released post CES and CeBIT and not a peep from Apple. How hard is it to slap ION2 with Optimus in a Macbook Pro if netbooks are being released with the technology? What is the hold up, Apple? What is it going to take to get your act in gear? Is it going to take a 1Q 2010 results showing a major drop in laptop sales to light a fire under their behinds?

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you really want a nVidia ION2 in MBP? That's meant for netbooks and has crappy Intel Atom CPU!!!

11. cobalt79 macrumors member

If you need to buy a new computer now, don't settle for old macs, buy a PC with current technology. The only way Apple will learn to keep up is by hurting them where it counts... in the wallet. They don't care about our needs, well, let's not reward them for it.

Not for nothing, but this should go for any product you buy. Buy the product that provides you with the most value for your dollar.

12. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Sure I will..... :) Thank you for the good suggestions.

13. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Well said, "cobalt79", yes that should be the way.
    Strange to see that Apple becoming a mobile company

14. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I hate that stupid "roll eyes" emoticon. It's such a jackass thing to put in a post. You ask for help and then roll your eyes at someone who tries to do just that.

Yeah, maybe Craner didn't read your post 100% correctly, but nevertheless, he's right. Believe it or not, the current MBP's will record the live songs for your band and allow you to edit them or whatever you plan to do with them.

Like he said, the current MBP is overkill for your needs. Perhaps you should just invest in a tape recorder? Would suit you needs perfectly.

15. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Apart from HellHammers fustration at Acer, I recently purchase an Acer 5740 for a friend of mine, it retails at around $600US, has a Core i3, 4GB RAM, and I've been using it quite a bit and so far it's working out pretty damn well. Had absolutely no problems with it so far. (Unlike my stupid MBP which has had nothing but problems so far, and Apple's **** Customer Service :/ .)

EDIT: Or you could even invest in the $680 version, which has a 2.26Ghz Core i5, but would be overkill for your needs.

16. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

I hate to see people when they act as if they knew everything in this world. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion, need not post such things.

I know the current C2D could be an overkill and I dont want to invest on a old tech... May be you would but I wont... I'm not a group that changes laptop for every two years just for the specs. Get one and be contended.

17. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

You don't want to purchase a temporary PC, just wait for the MBP refresh!

Habitus :apple:

18. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I can wait for few weeks more though but not till June.

Nobody could know when they are releasing the latest.
    I saw in some threads saying the next possible release would be on June.

19. JPark macrumors 6502a

It's uber-overdue. Just give another Tuesday or two. All indicators point to new MBP's any day (or any Tuesday) now.

I told my brother-in-law way back in November to hold off 'cause new ones were right around the corner. My bad. But now they're really right around the corner!

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Or next Tuesday... Or January 2030... Nobody knows.

I bet my money on April-May because iPads are already available by then and I'm sure Apple wants students $ so they update them before Back To School promo. June would be too busy because new iPhone, maybe new iMacs, Minis etc.

21. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the valuable suggestions guys... I appreciate for sharing your time to help me.

I shall hold my nerves for another 1 week or so and then pull the trigger.:)

22. PandaOnslaught macrumors regular

PandaOnslaught

nice one dude lol

23. McDevon macrumors newbie

Get It Now

Just get the mbp now I waited a month and could not see an update soon enough so I got a 13in 2.53ghz and not regreted it at all. It is a lovely machine and does everything I want and more.
    MPB upgrades too many rumours!!!

24. Raje macrumors member

HPs are quit horrible avoid them at all costs. Dell has some good low end models not that stylish but they do the job.