Can't wait for my GIANT iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DotCom2, Mar 21, 2010.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Ever since I got an iPhone 18 months ago I've been joined at the hip with it. I never owned a smart phone before and thought those blackberries with those tiny little screens were rediculously small and I would need to pop eye glasses on to be able to read them. Then I got an iPhone and loved it but had always wished, "Gee, if it ever came in just a little bit bigger model I would really REALLY enjoy it more. Well in just two more weeks my wish will come true! I can't wait to be able to hold the internet in my hands/lap/counter, read in bed, watch a movie, email while making dinner etc. etc. etc. My only wish is that the next version has a front facing camera and iChat and I will surely buy that model with a wall mount and put it in my kitchen and video call while cooking! Then I'll have one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen! Life will be good then. :D

2. jasg49 macrumors member

I realize that your tongue is firmly in your cheek, but think about this...

In the 1940's, high tech audio in the home was a large console radio in the living room. Usually, one per home.

Now count the audio devices in your house, car, pocket...

Now replace radio with 'computing device' and you will get a glimpse of the future.

I expect to have iPad like devices scattered around the house in the not-to-distant-future.

3. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Exciting isn't it!?

4. GadgetX macrumors regular

Fixed for you :D

5. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

LOL
    Thanks!
    I don't own an iPod Touch so I can only compare to my iPhone, sans the phone part. ;)

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

It won't be long before we'll all jacked into the Matrix.

7. jasg49 macrumors member

Fixed it again...

8. GadgetX macrumors regular

For making calls. Apple's push isn't fast enough to let you know when you have an incoming call.

9. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

10. yyy macrumors regular

I don't agree with that comparison. I believe that all you need is 2 computing devices: a computer and a phone. Any task that these 2 devices can't do can be done by accessories that connect to them. Even if a dedicated computing device is more useful for a specific task, it's not cost effective to own so many of them.

For example, you don't need a computer in your car if you can connect your iPod/iPhone to it. You wouldn't need an iPad if Apple sold you a touch screen that connects to your iPhone/Mac as an external screen.

iPad is like the Segway - it's great for a specific task, but there's already a better device that is suitable for almost all of your needs.

11. diabolic macrumors 68000

Except when you want your iPhone to have a larger screen, don't want to use a clamshell laptop, or can't stand trying do anything on a disaster of a netbook.

12. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

that makes no sense to me since you never used a ipad how can you compare it to anything

13. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

14. jasg49 macrumors member

It may not be cost effective now - just as it wasn't in 1940 to have more than one radio - but the cost curve will change, as it has for radios.

I'm not saying the iPad will be the winner (I said 'iPad like'), just that 'computing devices' will become ubiquitous - if not, the marketing plans for the processor and memory companies are in serious trouble. We may not recognize and call them 'computers', but they will be there. (just like the 50 or so microprocessors in today's automobiles.)

You might believe that 2 devices are enough, but I don't... then again, Bill Gates believed that 640K was enough.

15. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Just like back in the day a family only needed one car, one tv, one radio, one house.

Now people have multiple of all the things listed, yet they don't need them. Same thing will happen with computer like devices.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Er - or just get an iMac, with a bigger screen, and a VESA mount option? You know, the one with a built in webcam... That you could do video call in the kitchen with?

17. guycross macrumors member

This weekend I was using my iPhone to read a PDF map/walking tour. All I wanted was a bigger iPhone. If that was all the iPad was, it would be almost worth the price for me, as its a lot more than just a big iPhone - it's worth the price.

g

18. oneeach macrumors member

I actually have one of these at home. The electronics still work, but the cable used for tuning needs some adjusting. It takes about 5 minutes to boot^h^h^h^h warm up.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Say what you want about progress and hi-tech. But My family had one of the "old" tuners and that sucker had the best sound and reception than any thing currently in the market.