Can't wait much longer... Might go new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by newportmac, Jul 9, 2007.

1. newportmac macrumors member

I agree 100% with many of the threads that I have been reading about the mac Pro's dated hardware and also don't feel like giving Apple $2499 for a machine with year old parts in it... So I have been patiently waiting since Feb for an upgrade (no.. octo isnt an upgrade.. it's an option). So now the iMacs are due out any time.. might jump into the pool when they come out depending on what Steve builds it with... but from what I read it seems like it's going to be nothing more than a mac book pro leaned against a 24" cinema deisplay.... one thing I always loved about windows based machine is the choices.. yeah, I know.. save the flames about the OS.. it's old already.

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. 24" iMac, 23" apple display, max ram and HD, apple TV. Plus some other stuff. Depending on how good that new iMac is, it may not even be worth the extra $2k+ I would spend getting all of the things I want with it.

3. newportmac thread starter macrumors member

I hear ya.. max out a 24" w/ wireless K/M and buy an apple TV and you might still be under 2500... might be the way to go..

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The waiting stinks....

Amen. Now that the iPhone is out maybe Apple will get their heads out of their arses and get back into the COMPUTER business. I've been waiting since December for a Mac Pro update. Don't think I'd go with a new 24" iMac though, as I'm after that raw power for some video editing but mostly for recording with Logic Pro, and dual booting to Windows for games and Parallels for Windowz-specific apps.

I'm really hoping we see something shortly after the Intel price drops on the 22nd. I mean, how hard is it to put an EFI firmware on a frickin' video card?

Anyhow, I'm right there with ya, as are many many others...........waiting.:mad:

5. SolidShadow macrumors member

I'm waiting till the end of this month. I just can't push it much beyond that. If the imac gets more user swappable parts I'll probably go imac at this point.

It seems to me that someone said a while ago that with the way the built to order options are set up in the MacPro, new updated options could just be added as they became available. It's pretty clear now that that isn't true and we're just going to have to wait for major revisions just like before the intel switch. I'm really not seeing updates moving any faster than in the G5 days.

As for those who say there are no possible upgrades, that's ridiculous. There are new video cards, possible inclusion of more RAM, automatic bluetooth and wireless for the same price. The Cinema displays could use a refresh as well, and what about an isight? All of those things could be implemented now without any changes to CPU or motherboards.
    Yet, nothing happens.

I'm waiting for just one update. Any update. Anything at all. If even the cinema displays get isight I'll buy right now. More RAM, video card update anything at all to make me feel that my money is going a little farther and my order will be in.

6. flappo macrumors regular

my imac has the grubby screen problem , so i have no problem going for a mac pro with 1 year old hardware , it's to do with cheap lcd screen manufacturing in a spanish oem plant apple used , the apple discussions area had a long thread all about it

plus while your crappy old imac is outdated i can upgrade my mac pro with a new video card

i will never buy another all in one mac ever again

the imac isn't really so up to date , anyway , i thought everyone realised it's basically a mac book pro / powerbook on it's side , that's all it's ever been

7. TheFuzz macrumors regular

waiting since feb? for what? the machine was only 6 months old in february. what were you expecting them to upgrade, graphics cards? hah, when have graphics cards ever been a priority for apple? the idea of waiting 6 more months for an extra gig of ram is laughable. i guess if you aren't using it to make money it may be different. i buy when i need a machine. waiting around for something i don't have any control over isn't for me. have you looked at dell or hp's workstations? a dual 2.66 dell with a gig of ram and a gpu with half the memory as the stock nvidea apple uses is over $2600. that's with a cdrom(yeah, no dvd) drive and an 80GB hdd. you act like apple is the only one playing this game. if you don't like their choices, build your own, or at the very least don't start another of these threads.

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

How about you just ignore these threads? I could say "Your Mac Pro sucks and you are an idiot for buying one," but I don't. Why do you feel the need to criticize other peoples buying choices? Your concern with other peoples choices is laughable and sad, and even more so when you not only call them out but criticize someone for making A CHOICE! :rolleyes:

See your way out buddy. Use your Mac Pro instead of whining about other people. Thanks.

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Buy it in 6 months there is always something new out :)

10. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

A lot of us think new Mac Pros will be out this month or next. Perhaps the new iMac will come out simultaneously.

If the 'new' mac pros will have new vid cards and procs, it'd be easy for an update to slip under the rumor radar until the last minute.

The imac is what investors have been using to benchmark Apple since 1998--when the iMac bailed out Apple. It's likely Apple is leaking iMac news purposefully so as to bolster hype like they did with the G5 powermac (yeah right, like the web developers really did that on accident).

Also, leaking this news will inspire back-to-schoolers to wait for an Apple update instead of going Dell.

I guess what I'm saying is: don't necessarily give up on the mac pro; even though the new imac looks like a great machine.

11. TheFuzz macrumors regular

it'd be much easier to ignore if this subforum wasn't overflowing with these topics. i'm not sure where i resorted to name calling in my response, and i really could care less what you, or anyone for that matter, choose to do with your money. there's no need for a dozen topics dedicated to "whining" about how apple doesn't fit your individual needs. i don't come here to whine, i've offered help whenever possible. do a search. and when you're done searching, you can keep whining and bitching and complaining, popping into every thread and asserting your demi-god bs.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Talk about an over reaction. Perhaps you have decided to wait for the new Mac Pro and you're getting defensive about your decision?

I can't see anything wrong with the post you quoted, he was just offering an opinion. Perhaps you are the one who should see themselves out?

13. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Demi-god BS? I donate to a site that I go to everyday and I am associated with BS? Give me a break. Excuse me for dishing out some cash for a site that helps me and that I like.

I don't care if you have offered help. You didn't call anyone a name, however, you did call his choices "laughable."

This thread isn't "the Mac Pro sucks right now," he will simply saying that he might buy an iMac. The talk of "these threads" came with your post. If you want to buy when you need it, ok. But calling someones choice "laughable" is ridiculous and unacceptable IMO. But this is just Demi-god bs. :rolleyes:

14. TheFuzz macrumors regular

omg, this must be what it's like for the reporters during white house press conferences. i've been pwned.

your donations shouldn't be viewed as a get out of jail free card. again, i wasn't attacking his choice. i was more addressing his tone. why come here to complain when it will do no good, and there's already threads upon threads of the same... in which you're attacking those who disagree. he wasn't simply stating that he might get an imac: "but from what I read it seems like it's going to be nothing more than a mac book pro leaned against a 24" cinema deisplay". umm, ok.

i appreciate that you don't care how i've conducted myself in the past on this forum. i also appreciate that you let one word work you into such a frenzy. it's amusing and sad at the same time. i stand by what i said, waiting six months for as a little as a 1GB bump in ram does not make sense. sorry.

15. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

You people are insane.

Edit: OK I'm crazy too.

Mac Pros are outdated and need new procs, more RAM (standard), and better video cards.

Apple will soon (read: THIS MONTH) be paying the same price for clovertowns as they paid for woodcrests.

Therefore, you are getting ripped off if you continue to pay the same price for a woodcrest machine when clovertowns are equal in price.

So please, stop debating whether or not the Mac Pro should be updated, because it does. We don't buy last year's machine at last year's prices and that's that.

I'm trying to figure out why people who gave up on the waiting game are going so crazy when people who are still waiting express their dismay.

IT'S A VALID FSCKING ARGUMENT PEOPLE! LEAVE IT ALONE.

You made your choice, you're happy, who cares if others aren't?

And by the way, suneohair, you should probably just ignore those people, they're just pissed because if Apple updates tomorrow they're going to be butthurt that they didn't get what they paid for. Leave them alone.

16. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Don't get yourself too excitied. I am far from worked up. I suppose it makes you feel better if I am. Where did he say he was waiting for ONLY a RAM update? I must have missed that, or wait, did you simply include to make your point because without it you would have none. Even 6 months ago the hardware was outdated, but maybe you missed that.

Waiting six months is his perogative. Buying an outdated computer doesn't make sense to me, but you don't see me going in all the "just got my Mac Pro" or "I bought it" threads telling them how stupid they are. Nor do I complain about those threads either. Do you see a difference here? You can think what you want, but I am not the one jumping into others threads to call them stupid in a roundabout way.

You were the one implying I was using my "donation" as a get out of jail free card. I can be banned just like anybody else. In fact, I wish we didn't get demi-god status so people like you wouldn't try to knock down someones statements simply because they donated.

And I am out. See you when you the Mac Pro is updated. I am saving a crap ton of money on the thing and it is gonna be very worth the wait. See, gift card in the marketplace for more details :)

17. TheFuzz macrumors regular

slughead, wtf? regardless of whether or not it needs updating, there are enough threads here discussing it. there's no need for another one, jeeze. seriously, who cares if you might go imac. it's not even as if the op was asking for an opinion or offering anything constructive. i ordered mine the day they were announced, so apple updating them now will not bother me one bit. as soon as they're offered with ss, i'll be getting a new machine and using this mac pro as a photoshop/illustrator station. i'd love to see updated mac pro's, but i won't bitch and moan until something's done because it won't force apple to produce them quicker.

suneohair, you're way too quick on the trigger. in solidshadow's post he says even an upgrade to the ram would be enough to purchase one now (i totally made it up:rolleyes:). that is just funny to me, waiting all this time and then buying for an extra gig of ram? how was the hardware, aside from the gpu's, outdated six months ago? what's been released since the first gen. mac pros? the quad-core xeons? i'm seriously curious as to what you're referring to. overprice? maybe. outdated? i don't see it. and when have macs not been overpriced?

18. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Except for the "new procs" part, I'd agree with this post. I'd say the Mac Pros NEED a price drop and new video card options. About the only "new proc" part would be to include an option for a Mac Pro Dual 2.66 Xeon Quad-core. Apple's already got the Dual 3.0 Quad-core. Of course when it's going to happen, who knows.

As for going for an iMac, even if it's updated, it won't have the graphics power or CPU power of the Mac Pro. But it's your decission, not mine. I'd never buy an iMac.

19. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The quads will be at the same price as the current duals at the end of the month. Dropping the duals altogether, or leaving the 2.66 for a low cost entry Mac Pro, would be a nice update. And I almost expect it, considering the cost. We will see though.

It isn't necessarily about NEW processors, but a new stock config and new options that match the pricing and stuff that is already available.

Solidshadow is not the OP. Not to mention you singled out the one upgrade and quantified it as 1GB. what if they take it to 4GB? If you think about that FB-DIMMs were last year 1GB was probably about as much as 4Gb is today? Is that silly to wait for? Of course we already know you ignored the GPU, Mobo, CPU, Hard Drive, etc etc updates that could also be included. But, we are only waiting for 1GB of RAM. Of course, that makes sense you are right.

Prices on CPUs, Hard Drives, memory, and probably more were lower 6 months ago. What has been released? 8xxx GPUs and ATI HD GPUs, Cheaper 2GB and now 4GB dimms, faster, cheaper, larger hard drives. Would you like more? 802.11n, although I will admit I am not sure if the current one has N. I don't think it does though.

I don't see how you could be curious, because if you read all the other threads you are complaining about, because I am sure you did right? You would know what else people are expecting.

Also, nobody said overpriced. Take that somewhere else because it has no place here because I haven't seen anyone say they are IN GENERAL overpriced. Maybe they are because they are running old hardware right now, but not in general.

20. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

EXACTLY. And people, note slughead's signature. He already HAS a Mac Pro and he knows, just as we "waiters" do, that:

a) July 22nd Intel implements drastic price cuts. The processors in the Mac Pro will cost HALF of their retail value (for the most part)
    b) The current video card offering is OLD and OUTDATED. There is NO reason someone should shell out $2499+ for, say, an x1900 configuration when the video card is EIGHTEEN MONTHS OLD, and there are newer, better, and faster offerings available TODAY, and at price points LOWER than Apple charges for the x1900.
    c) FBDIMM prices are lower today than they were when Apple introduced the the Mac Pro 11 months ago.
    d) We all know that Apple has people reading these forums. Do you think these threads escape their attention?

Thanks for the backup slughead and suneohair. You know, when I replied to OP's thread last night I expected the haters to crawl out of the woodwork.

21. TheFuzz macrumors regular

i'm such a hater. i made my purchase when everyone was saying, "i'd never buy a rev. a machine, too many problems." now it's, "i'm not buying until apple gives us ram, hdd's, and gpu's that are reasonably priced and up to date." when has this ever been the case with apple? yes, a bump in specs is not out of the question. yes, the gpu's are outdated. yes, when intel drops the price of xeon's so should apple. but thread after thread complaining isn't going to change it and, you're right, i shouldn't worry what others are saying on a message board. it just gets old when new threads pop up day after day saying the same thing. if apple had employees reading these boards, these changes would have been implemented a long time ago, especially with regard to the gpu. my lord, how long have we been complaining about it. compared to other manufacturers, the current mac pro is still a deal. perhaps not if you were to build your own, but i don't know of a single model from any company, dell, apple, hp, etc. that would come out cheaper than a diy.

22. newportmac thread starter macrumors member

Slughead.. you hit the nail on the head. people who bought last month are defensive because they need to feel good about their purchase. So feel good.. but when you go to bed tonight and it's all quiet and you're wife leans over and says, "ok.. big deal.. so you're a impulsive little sucker who had to have his Mac Pro now now now and couldnt wait for a new graphics card or 4Gb of ram standard coming out in a month.. maybe two.. but I still love ya"....

And the other point is.. Apple stands to make big profits off the Mac Pro with Xeons when the price drops.. god knows they are paying next to nothing for the video card already... after july 22.. cost to produce the box will drop 40%... translation.. no significant decrease in sales despite a 40% drop in cost of production..+ cha ching! Apple will wait until demand drops to a point where they NEED to upgrade to bring sales back to acceptable sales levels..

23. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

True, but the one thing you don't get with a DIY unfortunately, is OSX. I have a DIY sitting next to me right now. A custom-built AMD 3800+ X2 overclocked to 2.8 Ghz, ATI Radeon x1800xt, DFI Expert nForce4 motherboard, 2 gigs of G.Skill memory, 74 gig Raptor drive, 400 gig WD, 500 gig Seagate, Plextor DVD burner, all in a Coolermaster Stacker case with side window, and CCFL lighting. It also has custom watercooling. I have the CPU and video card both watercooled.

But my purchase of a 12" Powerbook in November 2005 has changed all that. I'm just not interested in building my own rigs anymore. I've read about the "hackintosh" stuff, but it seems like too much hassle to get the components working properly, and it's also illegal.

If Apple made OSX available to everyone I could build whatever I wanted, but that just isn't going to happen. When I spend my money, I want it to be on something current. And hopefully I can make some of that money back by selling off this beast next to me piece by piece.:D

24. TheFuzz macrumors regular

exactly. i wasn't advocating building one yourself, just saying that's the only way you'd find a cheaper workstation with similiar specs to the mac pro.

25. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

No, I know. It wasn't an attack. :D I found an opportunity to explain why DIY doesn't work for me, while at the same time highlighting what used to be my pride and joy. Believe me, if OSX was available to the masses, I'd build myself one hell of a machine, and still be able to use some of the existing components.

I started building PC's back in 2002. Built quite a few, mostly for friends and family. My own personal rig saw many, many, many rebuilds. New hardware came out, decided to try watercooling, went to a bigger case (Stacker), changed platforms (Intel to AMD), got a bigger radiator, etc.. etc.. It was fun while it lasted, and my current setup has been running strong for 2 1/2 years. I guess I've grown out of it.

My biggest sticking point with the Mac Pro is the video card. Because we can use BootCamp, I want to have my cake and eat it too. I want a good gaming machine for the times I play (every so often), want to retain my Windows-specific apps, and have OSX.........all in one box. Aside from the clutter of having multiple machines, its fiscally unsound to throw all that money down the drain (or in this case, the wall socket), and it's certainly not being "green".

I've waited a long time for a Mac Pro update because, like I'm sure everyone can relate to, I said "Oh, I'll wait for MacWorld. Something's sure to be updated then". And then I said "I'll wait for WWDC 2007. Surely they'll update it at WWDC", and of course it didn't happen. So I make due in the meantime by getting my OSX fix with the Powerbook and the gaming/multi-monitor/general usage fix with the PC. So, I can still hold out a bit longer, but that doesn't make the waiting any easier.