Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
According to Apple, you should get 10 hours of video playback. You're getting less than half of that, so you definitely have a problem.

BENI

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
my ipod classic gives me about 6 hours and it is about a year and a half old so I would say take it into a mac store and see if they can help.

you may be able to manage if you keep the vol and brightness as low as is still useful you may be able to save some battery. also wifi take allot so (if you can) turn it off when watching.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Here are the settings Apple used for testing:

Apple said:
Testing conducted by Apple in May 2009 using preproduction iPhone 3GS units and software. Video content consisted of a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; Wi-Fi was associated with a network; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors.

bcs732

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I suggest you restore the latest firmware thru itunes and set your iphone as new. This helped with my sister's iphone. There are still some issues with the 3.0 firmware.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
with the brightness at the halfway mark and earphones I can watch 4 hours of movies and still have 50% battery on my 3Gs.

something definatly is not right on your phone

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
my ipod classic gives me about 6 hours and it is about a year and a half old so I would say take it into a mac store and see if they can help.

you mean take it into an apple store since a mac store doesn't really exist. ;)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
you mean take it into an apple store since a mac store doesn't really exist. ;)

Yeah, that one. :rolleyes:

OP, try running in airplane mode and see how you do. At least you can nail it down to one thing. You can also restore it as new (like a poster above said) or you can do a reset all settings, which will almost be equivalent to doing that. Also calibrate your battery. After all that, if you're still having problems then go to the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.