Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neville Hillyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
I normally update pages on my G3/OS 9.2.2 based web server by using file sharing from my G5/OSX 10.5.8. Today I tried to update a page by using my Mac Pro/OSX 10.6.8. The OS 9 volume mounts as usual and I can copy files from it but I can only write files with a total size of up to 5,006 bytes.

Does anybody have any thoughts about the likely cause of this?

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
I don't know the specifics of why, but I would guess an incompatibility between the AFP client in 10.6.8 and your 9.2.2 machine. If you had a 10.5.8 boot disk you could connect to your Mac Pro (assuming a 1,1 maybe?), you might test the connection that way for comparison...

Reactions: Neville Hillyer

Neville Hillyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
Thanks for your help.

It is a 1.1.

I have just installed 10.5 and can confirm that it shares files normally with OS 9.

I am surprised that Apple has not documented this if it is an AFP incompatibility.

I think I recall seeing a web page about moving a Leopard AFP client to Snow Leopard but I thought that was to fix a different issue.

I would be interested in any documentation on this issue.

Neville Hillyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
I now have Leopard and various versions of Snow Leopard installed on my Mac Pro and I get the following results:

All versions can mount a remote OS 9 volume or folder. Leopard can write files to the mounted volume without any difficulty. Some versions of Snow Leopard can write some files at a first attempt but some of these appear empty or corrupted.

I eventually found I could get consistent satisfactory results by using a bash script to write about 40kB to a dummy file twice. After this further files can be written without any difficulty until the connection is terminated. Whist this is slightly tedious I can live it.

Further insights or fixes would be of interest to me.

Here is my bash script:

Code:
open 'afp://user-name:password@###.###.###.###/volume/web-pages'; sleep 1; f(){ echo {a..z}{A..Z}{z..n} > /Volumes/volume/web-pages/dummy-file; }; f; f

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.