Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halvard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
When i am supposed to type my password in the terminal, so i can uninstall an addons, i can't write... I can press enter, and it jump down a line, but when i write there, it pop up: Sorry wrong password Try again

What shall i do?:apple:

easy-mac

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
In the terminal nothing shows up when you are typing a password. Just type your password as normal and press enter. If this isn't working then either you've got the wrong password or there's something else going on causing a problem. But in the terminal there won't be any dots or *'s replacing the letters in your password. Hope that helps.

Halvard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
In the terminal nothing shows up when you are typing a password. Just type your password as normal and press enter. If this isn't working then either you've got the wrong password or there's something else going on causing a problem. But in the terminal there won't be any dots or *'s replacing the letters in your password. Hope that helps.

Nothing like * og . replace them, its just that i can't type... When i press for example "A", nothing shows up...

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
When it asks for your password in terminal... DO NOT PRESS RETURN FIRST....

Enter your password and nothing will happen, nothing will show up, just have faith that you have entered it THEN hit return!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Type the right password and press enter.

FYI, if you don't know that, you should not be using terminal.

easy-mac

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Nothing like * og . replace them, its just that i can't type... When i press for example "A", nothing shows up...

That's what I was saying. When you type your password in the terminal it shouldn't show up. That's how it works in the terminal. Unlike most applications that replace the letters you've typed with some sort of symbol, the terminal just stays blank. When I first started using the terminal several years ago this confused me too, but you get used to it.

Be very careful though, if you don't know what you're doing it may be best to leave well enough alone because a stray rm * or something of that nature can do some serious damage to the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.