Can't write to OSX formatted drives from Windows 7 in Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MythicFrost, Mar 12, 2010.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey, I used to be able to drag files over to my storage drive from Windows 7, but I'm unable to do it now, I have Boot Camp 3.1 installed and the latest update for it.
    If I right click in the storage drive and select New Folder it says Destination Access Denied, and has the buttons Continue / Skip / Cancel.

When I click Continue, it shows the same dialog but it says You need permission to perform this action and the buttons Try Again or Cancel, I've repeatedly clicked Try Again and it does nothing.

Any thoughts?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did you install the Boot Camp 3.0 (or the 3.1 update) recently? If you did, AND also had software like MacDrive installed, Boot Camp might have overridden the MacDrive read/write HFS drivers with its read-only ones. This will obviously cause write attempts to fail. The best fix I can recommend, if this is indeed what happened, is to reinstall the MacDrive (or whatever) software.

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I don't have that software installed, any other idea's?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

How is the storage drive connected to your computer? Directly, or over a network (such as a NAS device)? If it's directly connected, is it formatted in a way Windows can understand (meaning MBR partition scheme and either FAT32 or NTFS drive format)?

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's an internal drive in my Mac Pro, hold on, I think I've got this confused. You can't right to a OSX formatted drive, otherwise Windows viruses could effect OSX. Sorry...

Thanks for your help, I can read from them just fine.

6. matthughes64 macrumors newbie

Windows viruses cant affect OSX. AND I STILL WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION COS IM HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!!

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Neither Apple nor Microsoft supply drivers to enable writing to HFS+ drives. As mentioned above you need MacDrive or some other third party software/driver.

B

8. matthughes64 macrumors newbie

cool, but...

cool got it thanks, one other thing is there one that does it the other way round? I cant seem to edit my windows partition. I've got 'NTFS 3G' for mac, but I cant write or delete on the partition