Can't you use an optical sound cable in the official docking station?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by felixen, Apr 23, 2009.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

I bought the apple docking station (the one that comes with the little remote) and tried putting in my optical cable but no sound came out. then I put in a regular composite one and it works fine. Doesn't it work with optical?

Also, for those of you who got this docking station, do you also have a hard time for the remote/dock to register when you hit a button? I sit a few feet away in my chair and I have to stretch my arm and aim at the dock before it'll receive signal from my remote

2. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

As for the remote being weak, can it be because the dock stands next to my mac mini, stereo, tv, dvd player and satellite dish receiver that it has a hard time catching the sigal? Cause its very weak. the remote works better on the computer than on the dock

3. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

im figuring the optical cable wont work with the dock, but im really interested in the remote thing. See I got the dock from ebay and the box had been opened so i dunno if its damaged or if the remote signal is always this weak (or the dock is weak at picking up the signal, i dunno)