Cantenna and MacBook 13,3"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macnus-bauer, Feb 22, 2008.

1. macnus-bauer macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I own a 13,3" MacBook 1,83 GhZ, and i want to connect to a wireless router, that's a little to far away, so I read about cantenna. But how do i connect the antenna cable from the cantenna to my macbook? And if it's impossible, what can I then do to "boost" the signal?

Thanks a lot!
    -macnus

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's better to 'treat' the router then the notebook.

Try This if your router has antennae. If it's an AEx you're kind of SOL, and you may have to invest in a range extender.

3. macnus-bauer thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant really install antennas or anything on the router, beacuse it's on my school, where i want to use my computer in one of the far away buildings. Do you need to logon the wireless router to use the booster?
    Cant i somehow logon the cantenna?

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

A cantenna is an antenna. Just an antenna.

The booster needs to be at the edge of the router coverage in order to work properly. i.e. if you're completely out of range where you are, you need to find a halfway spot where you can plug the booster in.

5. macnus-bauer thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i know. But would'nt i be able to catch the signal from a longer distance, if i had the antenna?

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yes - but you'd have to figure out a way to gain up the MB's internal antenna's signal. It would require that you point your Macbook in a certain direction and you'd have to improvise an antenna - not a cantenna but a different design.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Technically it might work, but not possible since you have a MacBook.