Cant't decide: rMB or RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wayneholbrook, Nov 29, 2015.

1. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

I know its based on user choice and what you maybe using your laptop for. But I am trying to understand why someone would get lets say a rMB 1.2 or 1.3 for almost or the same price that you can get a powerhouse rMBP for?

With that said, I know the MB is extremely portable but then again so is the rMBP.

So I am just trying to see if I am missing something before I make a decision on which one to buy this week.

I would use mine 80% mobile and the other 20% it would be in the office connected to a large monitor.

Any thoughts?

2. Nychot macrumors 6502a

it's a question/issue that has been dealt with probably hundreds if not thousands of times in this forum. go to an apple store, try both and make up your own mind, or read the same type of threads here.

3. pjfan macrumors regular

One would buy it as either 1) mobility and style is a premium concern while applications are low-demanding performance, or 2) their real world user experience is the same/near the same as rMBP.

The lap computing experience improves with lighter laptops, in my opinion. And I could state fifteen more odd points that are * with "my opinion." The answer to your question is, "it depends."

I'm trying out the rMB next week, as I've swayed away from rMBP since there is a lot of useless horsepower and ports for me anymore. To each their own, and there is no wrong answer unless you're unhappy with the product you have bought. Buy from Apple, try for 14 days, and retry or come back to this board for advice.

4. xDKP macrumors 6502a

xDKP

I had to make the same choice last week, when needed a new laptop for work. The question might be if you need a powerhouse? If yes buy the Pro - For me the power of the rMB is very sufficient (As said use it at the office for primarily office programs, mail and a web based insurance program) and I didn't need the power of the pro...

So to me the less power of the rMB was more than made up for, with it's killer design, size and weight... It really feels like you just have an iPad in your bag... And that's worth a lot!

5. nordique macrumors 6502a

OP this is only my opinion, but I would say if its going to be your main/only computer then go with the retina Macbook Pro

Its a very capable computer and has an excellent screen, it is still light and thin, has enough power to last you a long time and also has all the ports you will likely use

If it is a secondary device (lets say you have a computer at home which is your daily used computer, such as an iMac or mac mini or another such as windows desktop) and you want to use it simply for editing documents and having something very light to lug around, then go with the retina macbook. Those who enjoy their MacBooks are those who don't use/care for the ports and specifically want something lightweight and thin to carry. The retina macbook pro is lighter than the old macbook pro, and lighter than most "pro" laptops out there but it is still on the heavy side if you're carrying it around everywhere you go.

keep in mind the macbook pro has the classic chiclet style keyboard which some people prefer to the new keyboard in the macbook.

6. David58117 macrumors 65816

I actually just bought the rMB, but I have an iPad Pro and quad core Mac Mini. I'm actually going to return my 15", which I bought a few weeks ago for music (I'm repurposing the mac mini, which was the TV computer, but will now be my music computer).

I have the base model, and thought it was ludicrous after the keynote, and said "who would want that!?!"

But the screen is very nice, and the portability is amazing (my iPad Pro is bigger..). I don't really need ports besides a USB from time to time, but I bought the $20 connector which has worked great so far.

When I installed my apps earlier today, they did take much longer than on my 15", but for the increased portability I'm more than fine with waiting a few extra seconds.

I've been working on a word document, and surprisingly the keyboard hasn't really been an issue. I can type at the same speed...but it sometimes is a bit louder than I expected it to be.

I considered the 13" (I had one a few years ago) - but figured - if I'm going for portability - actually go for portability. I don't use the ports enough to justify a decision based off that, and personally I'd rather the 15" than the 13" due to the quad core vs dual core if I cared about the cpu - so the 13" is kind of out of the picture. So too are the airs, as I'm certainly not going back from retina.

So it was really between the 12" and 15". I just don't need two powerful (and expensive) computers..

7. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Although the rMBP is the more capable and probably better value I think you will find you use the rMB more because of its portability, too me that equates to real benefit :)

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, the MBP is very portable, but it has not reached that tipping point where it's small enough that you can throw it in a bag and hardly notice it's in there. That's the space that the rMB occupies. Add to that the fact that you can charge the thing with an iPad charging brick and that reduces the weight and volume even further. You have to decide whether that's what's important to you. For me, once a computer reaches that tipping point, it fundamentally changes how I use it, so I'm fine with giving up a bit of power as a tradeoff.

9. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

The 13" rMBP is not "extremely portable", as you put it. Not at all. But then again I'm coming from a 13" MBA.

For something you plan on bringing everywhere, I'd go 12" rMB or 11" MBA.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What apps will you be using it for?
    Will the 12" display be sufficient for you? Some people prefer larger displays, so you need to determine if the smaller display is feasible.

Its personal preference, and everyone has a different use case to determine what works for them.

11. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Probably because it's new and shiny. I know lots of people who go look at a MB but don't buy it. That should be a telling statistic in the light of today's forthcoming MBA updates next summer.

12. roxysdad macrumors member

I know there are loads of threads discussing this computer vs the rMBP but tastes change, new products enter the space, and it is interesting to read opinions this far into the product cycle.

I use the rMB as my sole computing device (and an iP6). For my needs, which are writing MS degree papers in word, web browsing, email, Music, family photo editing, and syncing with all the assorted iPhone apps I find this little computer to be wonderful. I don't have an office at home, so my computer just travels with me through the house from chair to couch, and on vacation here or there.

My wife has the rMBP and I find it a bit large and heavy for my tastes - I had a 2013 11" MBA for two years. I used the usb port on that computer to charge my iPhone more than anything, so now I just charge it somewhere else. I could get by with an iPad but I like the true multitasking, regular keyboard and full functionality of a computer, so this little machine fits the bill. I love the screen, and the keyboard is easier to use now that I have had it for a couple of weeks. And the speakers! I always want to mention the speakers. They surprise me every time I use them.

Best answer for me is what do you need out of a computer? If you use SD/USB/lightening ports all of the time, then this isn't for you. I don't, or at least I don't very often. I don't need such an expensive computing device, I just love the form factor. 31 flavors, and this is mine.

13. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Excellent reply! I'm in almost the same situation as you described and my rMB 12" is working perfect as my main computer. Honestly feels like I'm carrying an iPad, but with power of OSX and love the full size/new 'flat' keyboard style with bigger keys. Plus you're right about the speakers- they're pretty amazing for how small everything is.

As you mentioned it's not for everyone (I may not be a "pro" user, no video editing/etc..)- however it's been working great for me and I even was previously using a 15" MBP.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You used the magic word CONNECTED. you need a MacBook Pro.