Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Canva has acquired Serif's Affinity suite of creative apps, marking a significant stride in its competition against Adobe with a deal valued at several hundred million dollars (via Bloomberg).

affinity-designer-running-on-macos-big-sur.jpg

Canva is an Australian online design company valued at $26 billion. Its platform offers user-friendly design tools aimed at non-professionals and has a user base of over 175 million people worldwide. The acquisition of the Affinity apps marks a change of strategy for Canva, targeting professional designers and creatives who have traditionally relied on Adobe's suite of products.

Affinity's software, encompassing photo editing, vector illustration, and desktop publishing tools, has been been lauded for its performance, affordability, and one-time purchase model – a stark contrast to Adobe's subscription services. The apps have garnered a strong following among Mac users in particular.

The acquisition includes the transition of Serif's 90-person team to Canva, ensuring continuity in the development and support of Affinity apps. Cliff Obrecht, Canva's co-founder and Chief Operating Officer, emphasized that Affinity's portfolio is the "final piece in our jigsaw," indicating how the apps are expected to complement Canva's existing array of AI-powered design solutions and collaborative online workspaces.

Article Link: Canva Acquires Serif's Affinity Apps

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Sad to hear, they did things in a good way. That said I'm not that surprised since I thought they didn't do the upgrade from v1 to v2 quite right and may not have got enough from that operation.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Subscriptions are probably coming, and soon be required, for Affinity then.
Yep. 3.0 will probably move to a subscription model. Very sad. I use their design tools (Designer and Publisher) for personal projects and couldn't justify an annual subscription. I love the Affinity suite because they aren't a subscription model.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
Incredibly sad to see. I guess I should head over to Gimp. Took a chance and went all in with Affinity a few years ago, should have known not to trust paid software.
What exactly makes this incredibly sad to see? You must have read something in the article that I didn’t see, or just jumped to conclusions that are not in this article.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
This was definitely not on my radar. The trend for design has been moving more and more stuff towards a server solution, not back to desktop. All of Adobe's recent efforts seem to be pointed in that direction. Seems weird for Canva to grab "old style" tech, eh?

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Not to jump the gun here, but this leaves me feeling uneasy.

I have put up with the areas where Affinity's suite lacks when compared with Adobe because, well, no subscription!

If this goes to subscription then why would I stay?

I'd probably switch back to Adobe… I mean hell… my fingers still have the muscle memory of 3 decades worth of use.

Not happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.