Canvas Mac is back as Canvas Draw

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by robgendreau, Aug 15, 2015.

1. robgendreau macrumors 68030

2. MAH11 macrumors newbie

Back in the day, Canvas was a great program. I have ~15 years worth of scientific graphics in .cnv and .cvx formats, but no way to open them. I downloaded the demo and tried to open a few representative files. To my surprise, ~80% of them opened just fine. (One was really screwed up.) More interestingly, I was able to select everything in the Canvas file, copy it, then paste directly into a new Illustrator file. Not only did the transfer work, the images appear to be editable in Illustrator.

While there is no way that I am going back to Canvas (particularly after being burned so many times), I will probably buy Canvas Draw just for access to the dark past.

3. robgendreau thread starter macrumors 68030

FYI, someone who used the scientific version in the past was pointing out that the font support for scientific characters, like even Greek letters, was lacking. Might want to check that in the demo before you purchase.

4. MAH11 macrumors newbie

Thanks. I did find some font issues when I checked out the demo, but I am mostly concerned about the drawings. I can type far faster than I can draw…