iPhone X Cap Cod Cloth for Polishing Silver iP-X SS Band

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whizkid11, Dec 16, 2017.

1. whizkid11 macrumors newbie

Where do you but the Cape Cod cloth recommended for removing minor blemishes on the stainless steel iPhone X band? Thanks!

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Amazon. They work excellent. I use them quite frequently to remove scratches off of 316 L stainless on the Apple Watch. They are reusable, and two are included inside the pouch.

Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloths Foil Pouch 0.53oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017H3PIO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kUynAbVK5SD14

3. whizkid11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Have you tried it on you iPhone? Any suggestions?

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

When you use it on the silver iPhone X bands, just use the tip of the cloth and go in circular motions around the bands, try to avoid the display, because of the oleophobic coating. You shouldn't have to play much pressure, as it will remove scratches fairly easily. And when you're through using it, take a dry/clean microfiber cloth and wipe off any excess. It literally will restore the bands back to factory condition.

5. whizkid11, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017

whizkid11 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

The SG may be harder to restore but ive case less over 6 weeks with no dings etc. My SS AW on the other hand gets a scratch just by looking at it.

7. newellj macrumors 604

I don't believe it's possible to "restore" the finish on the SG X. It it's scratched through to bright metal underneath, you could try to reduce the visual impact with something like a black Sharpie, but the PVC coating will still be missing and that will be clear if you look carefully.

8. barkomatic macrumors 601

I see you mentioned avoiding the display glass. Since there is an abrasive compound in the cloths/polish, did you get any small scratches or marks on the edge of the display glass where it meets the metal band? Or did you put tape down to protect it? I've got a screen protector on, but of course it doesn't cover toward the very edge. I'm guessing this isn't a problem since I haven't seen anyone mention it -- but I'd rather just live with scratches on the silver band if removing causes other scratches.

9. Relentless Power, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I actually have used the Cape Cod cloth before and some residue touched the display, it did not scratch the display at all. Any excess that did get on the display, I just took a microfiber cloth and lightly wiped it off. It didn’t pose any problems. But you just want to be as cautious as possible.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The CapeCod cloth is a VERY mild abrasive. You would have to rub a good bit on the screen to hurt it and then the only damage would be to remove the coating. It will not scratch your screen.

11. Baginz10 macrumors member

My gold xs was scratched out of the box. Had 2 replacements before this with scratches on the screen so don't really want to have to replace it again. This stuff looks promising but I'm worried it will take the gold coating off of the stainless steel?

12. mjschabow macrumors 68020

Will this also work on the back glass? I have a lot of little marks and micro scratches on the back of my iPhone X.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

No it’s for buffing metal not glass.

14. doboy macrumors 68020

This is not meant for the gold XS, only for silver (non-coated)!

15. nixx macrumors newbie

Just mask your screen glass using scotch tape and cape cod to your heart’s delight.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No. The Cape cod cloth is mainly specific to metals. It won’t have an affect on the Glass.