Cap Locks must be pressed hard MBP Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LemmycautioN, Nov 6, 2008.

1. LemmycautioN macrumors member

I noticed that the CAPS LOCK button on my MBP requires more pressure than any other key. I haven't tested this on any MBP other than my own and I'm wondering if this is the case for anybody else. I wonder this only because all of my other keys seem to be fine and maybe this has been designed to prevent people from accidentally hitting caps lock (something i used to do all the time)

The button requires a deliberate motion, the usual tap i give to any other key won't work on the caps lock key

it's a MBP Unibody

2. Eallan macrumors 6502

3. mattmartincouk macrumors newbie

Yes, It is a feature. You have to hold it down slightly longer than other keys for it to lock.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

This is also the case on the last rev Macbooks and the Alu USB Keyboards

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

It's not amount of pressure, it's amount of time. You just need to hold it down a little longer than normal.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks for posting this, and drawing our attention to it. It's both good (and useful) to know.

Cheers

7. zebbz macrumors member

8. cancermonkey68 macrumors newbie

damn.

i probably should have looked this issue up here first.

my question is: is this an apple confirmed feature? or just a speculative one?

i went to a "genius bar" just for the same caps lock situation. the clearly non-genius guy said that it was not working properly, and i should return my mbp for a new one. instead i ordered an new one - AND got an RMA slip so i would not be without a computer. of course as luck would have it, the day my new computer came was the day AFTER the warrantee ran out on my non-intel based mac. while migrating all my info over from the old to the new... the old one literally had an HD crash. dreaded grey screen w/a question mark. it's almost as if it knew it was being replaced... or more nefariously, the breakdown is an apple plot to make you feel like your brand spanking new lappy was worth it? (jkjk)

my new lappy came this morning, and right away i noticed that it had the same "feature". i am not going to "migrate" all my stuff over to it, if the 1 week older one is actually performing fine.

anybody?

9. rmarinheira macrumors member

That's confirmed!

It was first implemented on the previous generation MBP and MB.

That's the way it is, to prevent activating CAPS with a non intended press on the key.