Capabilities of G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Po.Verse, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Po.Verse macrumors newbie

So I can get a G4 Shell for 20$. I had a G4 desktop like a year ago, and I regret getting rid of it. Basically, If I buy the shell, can I slowly build a monster machine. I know Ill need a super fast computer for my Graphic Design work/studio work.

Basically, what could I do with this machine? And whats a estimate price range? Maybe something custom? G5 internals? I want it to be able to run smooth on Photoshop, and internet, maybe even music all smooth and not freezing up. Id also like it to be able to run the newest OS.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It would be next to impossible without extensive case modifications to get a G5 logic board into a G4 tower. The logic boards are expensive (around $400-500 or so used) and you would still need the processor(s) and heatsink(s). Plus, I would imagine that there would be differences in front panel cabling (power button, etc.) as well.

To be honest, it would probably be cheaper just to buy a used PMG5.

3. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Just buy a G5. Even a single 1.8 G5 will be faster than the most "monster" G4.

The G4 has severe memory and processor bottlenecks that hold it back, the G5 doesn't.

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I bet if you upgrade memory to it's max that PS would run smoothly for almost everything as it is now.

You might need CS3 or CS2 but besides the Adobe Camera RAW you're not missing anything very important - and there are free utilities to take ACR's place.

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Yeah, I think you'd be better off just using a G5. More effort than it's worth.
    Although, you could even shoehorn an iMac in there (with a dead internal screen perhaps).

You could also put pc parts in the tower...

You could mod a Mac mini inside and throw in a couple of hard drives, although that would kinda be defeating the purpose of the mini...

6. Po.Verse thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill consider the G5...

But, is this a good deal for 150?

Mirror Drive Door G4
    Dual 867Mhz Processors.
    1.25GB RAM
    60GB HD,
    Super-drive, Fresh Leopard 10.5 install with current patches

And how much farther can it get upgraded?

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That's a reasonable deal for a MDD configured like that. I believe the MDD goes up to 2GB of RAM (2x1GB sticks). Sonnet still makes a dual 1.8GHz G4 upgrade card for that machine, but I'd consider a real G5 before spending $600 only to get faster G4s.

The drives in all the PMG4s are also IDE/ATA, so you'll need a PCI SATA card to install newer SATA hard drives. G5s have SATA standard.

8. TrapOx macrumors 6502

If you keep it as-is, yes. If you start dumping money into upgrades then even "free" becomes expensive.

A dual 1.8GHz G4 costs $600, compared to having a far superior dual 1.8GHz G5 out of the box for $250 less than the $750 you've just spent on bottleneck filled G4.
    Ability to have another 256MB of ram, compared to the G5's additional 6.75GB capacity.
    The G4 has old PATA100 drive connectors (One of its bottlenecks), the G5 has SATA.

Plus the MDD G4 is known as the "wind tunnel".

9. Po.Verse thread starter macrumors newbie

but a G5 from factory would need to be upgraded to, No?

10. TrapOx macrumors 6502

No. For $400 you'll have a G5. It will cost $850 to equip a G4 similarly (1.8ghz, SATA) but the G4 will still be significantly slower.

link

11. aibo macrumors 6502

no G4 or G5 you'd build would be considered a "monster machine" by modern day standards. "barely capable" is more like it.

12. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

To have the fastest G4 you are actually looking at a system close to what I have. If you can find a cheap G4 MDD 1,42 you have the best basic system to upgrade on, but also the dual 1,25 would be nice.
    The CPU Sonnet upgrades are for sure first class in its way, however they lack the L3 cache that made the MDD duals so fast.
    In some rare cases you might even find a G4 MDD with Verax fan system which would be really super nice. I would absolutely look for those !!

Regarding the G5, they are for sure great machines. But if I ever sell my monster G4 and upgrade to a G5 I would choose the late PCIe model with 2,3 Ghz only! The early models haven not been a lot faster then what I have and the dual 2,7 as well as the quad 2,5 have liquid cooling systems that leak into the PSU!!!
    Under no circumstances choose the single 1,6 or 1,8!!
    :apple:

13. Po.Verse thread starter macrumors newbie

Like this?
    http://allentown.craigslist.org/sys/1135477433.html

14. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

15. MacVidCards Suspended

yeah..here in LA $350 gets you a Dual 1.25

$400 gets you a G5 1.6 or 1.8

And $600 can EASILY get you a DUal 2.0 G5 which can run circles around ANY G4 ever made.

The G4 is a more friendly machine, easier to work on and upgrade...but a Dual 2.0 G5 is better in basically every way.

And $350 is TOO MUCH for that one.

I bought 3 dead MDD for $180. By mixing and matching parts I got a solid Dual 1.25 out of them...and some spare parts to boot.