Capabilities of unlocked AT&T iPhone without iPhone data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jollins, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

I've just started educating myself on the iphone unlocking scene now that I've bought one for myself, but I have a few questions I haven't been able to find clear answers to...

Here is my situation: I ordered one of the $250 refurbs, even though my family's AT&T contract expires in June because I just couldn't pass up that deal. I am on a family plan, so renewing early isn't really an option. We'll be renewing in June and I'll add an iphone data plan then, but it won't be for a few months.

From what I've read I can finish up my current contract on my iPhone by using ziphone and putting my current SIM card in. Is this correct? I've read this should work but I want to double check.

I also read that not using the iphone SIM/iphone plan means no visual voicemail. How does voicemail work if visual voicemail is disabled? The big question for me though is does this mean I can't get add unlimited data for web/email until I renew? My current plan does not have unlimited data, and I can't tell if its possible to add it for an extra monthly fee. I've had trouble finding an answer to this question, and it would be a shame to have an EDGE-less iphone for a few months.

Thanks for any help

2. yayaba macrumors 6502

If you activate it with ziphone you should just be able to put your SIM into the iPhone. Two points:

1) If you don't have visual voicemail when you hit the voicemail button I believe it calls into regular voicemail. I've seen it happen on my legit iPhone.
    2) If you don't have data on your plan, make sure you download one of the programs to disable EDGE as soon as you "activate" the phone. This way you won't get charged by it downloading stuff by itself.

What you could try doing is adding one of the Media plans to your line. I'm not sure if the $20 Media plan is compatible with the iPhone though.