Capability of jailbroken-but-not-activated iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RussInSanDiego, Jul 9, 2009.

1. RussInSanDiego macrumors newbie

I have a buddy's 4GB iPhone (1st gen) that's still locked.

If I jailbreak it, can it be used as if it were an iTouch, e.g., access iTunes, browse through WiFi, etc., without activating it on some carrier?

2. tylertech macrumors regular

Yes, you should be able to do everything minus the phone part.

3. jason72780 macrumors regular

It will do all that justby taking the sim card out

4. RussInSanDiego thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you saying I don't have to jailbreak it? I just remove the sim and it's essentially an iTouch?

5. jason72780 macrumors regular

Yea. Except it becomes like an iPod touch with a camera. Not an itouch.

6. RussInSanDiego thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm... I removed the sim card, and when I turn it on, it puts up a big display warning me that there's "No SIM card installed. Insert a valid SIM with no pin lock to activate iPhone".

7. jason72780 macrumors regular

My girlfriends stepdad got a 2g from a friend at work. I know we were able to get it to work like an iPod touch without doing anything to it. I thought it was removing the sim. Getting it to work with his normal AT&T sim took some work. It did have the other guys old sim in it but kept trying to get him to sign up like it was new. Wish my memory worked so I could remember but Im still pretty sure it was to use it without a sim.

8. jason72780 macrumors regular

Currently typing this on my 3g with no sim over wifi. I started it with no sim and it just told me no sim installed and hit ok. What firmware are you on? I think it was the 2.0 that let it work without a sim.

9. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I just jbroke an 8 GB 2G iphone yesterday. No sim card installed at this time. At startup it does warn that there is no SIM installed. Does not, however stop you from using the phone as an ipod touch. I was also able to insert my SIM from my iphone 3G and make and receive calls and texts. Also inserted a SIM from an employees T-Mob BBerry and worked no problemo. redsn0w!!!

10. richardhunt macrumors regular

If the phone was "restored" and there's no longer a valid sim on it, you will need to jailbreak it. Once the phone is restored, you loose the activation on it and has to be re-activated, and the only way to do that without a valid sim, is to jailbreak it. It's pretty easy and simple to do with redsn0w. Upgrade to 3.0 and then run the program. You'll have your Ipod Touch with camera and wifi in about 5 minutes.

11. RussInSanDiego thread starter macrumors newbie

That explains it. My buddy probably did restore it, to make sure that whomever got it didn't get any of his information.

How do I determine the firmware version? I tried following directions to enter "field test mode" ("*3001#12345#* and then finish by pressing Call"), but it didn't work.

12. richardhunt macrumors regular

You don't need to. Just upgrade it to 3.0 and jailbreak it. Then it doesn't matter what version they had previously.

13. Usoandso macrumors member

Usoandso

I still have my 8GB 2G iPhone and 8GB 3G with the sim cards (not active) in them and they work just fine as an iPod Touch w/camera, GPS, etc. I just JB'd my 3G and have had no problems other than it being somewhat unstable.