Capacitative or on-screen software buttons?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by iBlazed, Jan 5, 2015.

?

Capacitative or software buttons?

1. Capacitative

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Software

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

When shopping for an Android phone, do you prefer software buttons or capacitative buttons? I strongly prefer software buttons, just for the reason that the buttons can and have changed. I like the new buttons in Lollipop and wouldn't be able to upgrade to them if the buttons were capacitative. This is one thing that can actually prevent me from buying a phone that I'm interested, such as that new ASUS phone in the other thread.

2. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

Because I came from iOS to Android I thought I could not deal with on screen keys. I found them aesthetically unpleasing and thought them to be cumbersome, but after living with a Nexus I've come to appreciate them and they truly are at home on android. A physical key is just in the way and forces oems to increase overall dimension as opposed to utilizing that space for something else or alleviating the bezel altogether.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I can take or leave them however I do find at times the precious extra real estate they take up at times frustrating.

4. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

personally i prefer a hardware button like on the Note 4 and 6+.
    But I also like software buttons that can be customized and rearranged.

5. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Hardware buttons like Samsung and Apple use are subject to fluid damage, as well as being much slower. I find the buttons on my LG G3 and Nexus phones extremely responsive, fast and dramatically better for multitasking.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Capacitive. I don't like on screen buttons because they take up too much of the screen.

7. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

On my oneplus one I can choose which one I prefer, but I ultimately prefer the capacitive buttons because of the extra real estate they take.

8. Billy95Tech Suspended

I prefer capacitative software buttons like on my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 because with on sceen software buttons they take too much space on the sceen.

I am glad Samsung putted capacitative software buttons instead of on sceen software buttons on there tablets. :)

9. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Nothing beats the feeling of hard physical buttons where you can feel the travel of the button. Problem is, nobody does 'em right anymore. Not even Samsung.

Between capacitive or on screen, I'll take capacitive buttons FTW mainly because you never have to intuitively look or press the screen to activate them. They're always where they should be.

10. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I prefer capacitive buttons mainly because I am so used to them. The only time I had on screen buttons was on my Eee Pad Transformer. It was OK. I had a keyboard dock and used the back button on the dock instead.

11. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I could go either way but lean towards capacitive because of screen real estate

Ideally I'd like to choose like on the oneplus

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

Don't mind either. I use All In One Gestures to go back or home on the sides of the screen. I could live with either options but every Android phone I got did feature capacitive buttons. What is more important to me is double tap to wake screen feature. Prevent wearing out physical buttons. My next Android should have that and maybe fast charging like the Nexus 6.

13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

My preference is Capacitative but it would not stop me from purchasing a device I'm interested in if that preference was not the case.

Too many bases to cover and that is why there will never be a "perfect" device. This feature though is really low on my personal priority list considering what else I feel needs to be met.