Capacity problem ??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by paulsenglish, Jul 31, 2010.

1. paulsenglish macrumors newbie

Helo all

My 10.4 MacBook suddenly 'told' me that it had no disk space. I checked and all 74.21 gigs were used ! Strange, I thought. I'm the only user, taking 38 gigs.
    By restarting and dumping a few bits, I got the free space up to 7.5 GB and reduced my space by 2-3 GB.

The simple maths are that some 31 gigs (74, minus my 35, minus free 7.5) have gone missing ! Any idea where they might be, whether this is a problem, etc ??

Appreciate help on this.

Thanks

2. mike423 macrumors regular

mike423

After deleting your useless videos or mp3's go and delete them from your trash as well, and if your are using VUZE for torrent and you are not seeding any torrent then go to it's library and delete it from there as well. It happened with me and I did all this it worked like a charm.

3. paulsenglish thread starter macrumors newbie

Capacity problem ??

Thanks, Mike

I'm not hugely technical, but I'm not using any torrent.

As I mentioned, after I deleted unnecessary stuff, it still only gave me 7 GB, not nearer 37 GB as I expected.

That's what I can't fathom......

Paul

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Your best bet would be to run a system inventory app and see what files/folders are taking up the most space. I use DaisyDisk personally but that app needs 10.5+ to run. Since you are on Tiger, I found a free app called Disk Inventory X that will work for you. Just run it, select your hard drive from the list, and then hit 'open volume'. After it goes through your system you will get a list and colorful representation of your drive and files, telling you where all your space is going.

5. paulsenglish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, tag

A very useful bit of kit, I can now see the picture and do something about it.

Cheers

Paul