Capacity Swap at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gaura Mohana, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Gaura Mohana, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

Gaura Mohana macrumors regular

Has anyone tried changing a 16gb for a 64gb in store if bought online? Would they let you do the exchange if you pay the difference in price? How does it work?

2. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

You return the 16GB.

You purchase the 64GB.

Of course you pay the difference. And if you used an upgrade on a line, the upgrade date gets reset (at least that was my experience doing a return/repurchase in the past).

3. DanRyb macrumors newbie

Yes you can. You have 14 days to return/exchange for any reason.

4. Gaura Mohana thread starter macrumors regular

But thats only if they have stock... Also how would the refund work? That isn't instant, is it?

5. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Depends on how you paid for the original phone. If cash you would just pay the difference. If you used a credit card to pay for the first phone the amount would be refunded to the card and you would buy the new phone. It usually takes a few days for the refund to show up on your credit card bill, so if you are at the end of a billing cycle you may have 2 phone charges on your credit card bill for that month.

6. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

If you're exchanging a phone for one that costs more, all you have to do is pay the difference. If the phone you're returning is $299.99 and the one you are getting is $399.99 you will pay $100 + any applicable sales tax. That's it. No waiting for refunds to go through, banks to clear funds etc. Simple exchange.

7. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

8. z28black98 macrumors regular

They will refund the tax you paid on original and charge you for the new full amount of tax or if their system can process it, just pay the difference.

9. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Yes of course only if they have on stock. Otherwise they have no phone to replace. If you paid using your credit card, then the refund is going to your credit card. But usually the refund will not be processed until 2 days later. I think you will have the available credit back. If you purchase using your debit card, then the refund is instant.

10. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Be careful if you used an "upgrade" (aka signed a new 2 year contract). If you return it, it may take your carrier (mine did, Verizon) a few days / a week to give you back your "upgrade".

I returned my black 5 when I bought it because I found a white 5 the day after release at a different store, however, I couldn't get it because my upgrade date wasn't reset yet.

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

That is correct, even if you go through the exchange process, even if you used an upgrade, you will get an upgrade back, it does take some time. I was on AT&T Next, I did an exchange today, but had to do the process over, but luckily I got my upgrade back and walked out today with a new iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB Gold in 5 minutes.

----------

I guess that depends on how backed up the server is. I was on AT&T Next, went to the Apple store today to do an exchange, my iphone 6 Plus had some cosmetic defects, so I went in to do an exchange. Everything went smooth, I got my upgrade back in less than a minute after the Apple guy processed a return, and walked out with a new iphone 6 plus gold 128 GB in hand.