Capacity vs HD Video & Photos

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by akm3, Oct 5, 2011.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

My current iPhone is a 3GS, so I don't really use it for photos or video because the camera is so terrible. The new 4S should be a great upgrade for me because of the camera that is always with me (good for catching stuff with kids).

Anyway, do we have any idea how quickly photos (75% of my usage) and videos (25% of my usage) eat through the storage? I'm trying to decide if I need the 64GB or not.

Also, if you take video on the iPhone 4S, what is the work flow to get it into an iPad 2 to edit the video? Yes, yes, I know it makes more sense to do it on my iMac at home with Final Cut, but I have a specific use case where I want to be able to capture and edit the rough cut on site and quickly slap it up on YouTube while being far from my 'real' computer. I know I could use iMovie on the iPhone, but if there is an easy way to do the editing on an iPad, that would make sense for me. I'm sure 1080HD isn't going to sync through iCloud...quickly anyway.

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Wow, you just made me wonder... WILL recorded videos sync through the iCloud/Photostream? If it does't, that'd suck. If it does, it'd still suck!

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

I want to clarify my second question. I know you can go back to a computer and use iTunes to move movies between iOS devices. I want to know if there is another method to do it completely remotely with no computer.

e.g. Use the camera connection kit to 'dock' the iPhone to the iPad. Will that let the iPad copy the videos over? Some way to do it WiFi? BlueTooth would be too slow.

Anyone do this?

4. djjclark macrumors regular

Use the camera connection kit to 'dock' the iPhone to the iPad using a 30 pin connector and the usb dongle from the camera kit. photo/movies show up and can be imported in to an event.