Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Yesterday, i finally got around to using Cape Cod on my nearly 2 years old Apple Watch 42 SS (series 0). My watch is quite beat up with scratches from it being on my wrist nearly 20+ hours everyday x 2 years!

Cape Cod cloth (pre-soaked) can be bought on eBay...the one i got costs $6 for two cloths.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/322445190733

Cape Cod metal Polishing Cloths Package of 2. #88821 NEW
5fe70cd46660198949c5071ac1040618.jpg

637bc8c570de9407b7cd6e37b38a97d7.jpg

Reactions: pcall1128

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Looks great. Did you have to mask the screen?

Nope. Neither did i mask the ceramic bottom. I figured that sapphire was tough enough to withstand it. I did try my best to avoid the ceramic back. Still i was rather "inaccurate" with my buffing too! :D

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yep these things are awesome. I used it on my S0 every month from launch to when i sold it when I got my S2 at launch. Got a good price for my S0 as it looked pristine. Just remember to seal the bag properly (I put it in a freezer bag as well) as they can dry out quickly. Also remember the fluid needs to be buffed off..don't try and wash it off as it just smears all over the watch!

Reactions: Thai

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I ordered this the same day the OP started this thread based on the suggestion. It arrives Thursday. Anyone try this on the stainless steel link band? Mine is pretty scratched up, and hoping this will really make that look better in addition to my SS watch.

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
I ordered this the same day the OP started this thread based on the suggestion. It arrives Thursday. Anyone try this on the stainless steel link band? Mine is pretty scratched up, and hoping this will really make that look better in addition to my SS watch.
You would be better off with a green or grey scotchbrite pad for the link bracelet. You need to re-brush it if it gets really scuffed up. I've tried polishing clothes on it and it doesn't do as much as I'd like. A green pad got mine looking brand new

Reactions: xDKP

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
You would be better off with a green or grey scotchbrite pad for the link bracelet. You need to re-brush it if it gets really scuffed up. I've tried polishing clothes on it and it doesn't do as much as I'd like. A green pad got mine looking brand new

Do you have a link for the model you chose?

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado

The Cape Cod is for polishing shiny things...not matte/brushed metal.

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
Do you have a link for the model you chose?
I'm sorry I don't. I got mine from the grocery store actually. It's just a green scotch-brite scouring pad. They come either on their own, or attached to a yellow sponge pad (green scouring on one half, yellow softer sponge on the other half)

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Reactions: xDKP

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Two years too late...if you read the threads here you would know how great these are already...but congrats on that, your Watch looks great now! These clothes are invaluable.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Two years too late...if you read the threads here you would know how great these are already...but congrats on that, your Watch looks great now! These clothes are invaluable.

It makes me feel like i just got a new watch...even though it is close to 2 yrs old....

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
It makes me feel like i just got a new watch...even though it is close to 2 yrs old....
Same here. Been polishing my SS as I said here before every month since gen 1 was released and its pristine. No deep scratches luckily so really happy with these cloths.

OP: sorry if I came across as rude in my post. No offence to you.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Same here. Been polishing my SS as I said here before every month since gen 1 was released and its pristine. No deep scratches luckily so really happy with these cloths.

OP: sorry if I came across as rude in my post. No offence to you.

None taken.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I can also confirm that scotch brite green pads work great on the SS Link Bracelet. Can't believe it took me this long to find out about it.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Having used Cape Cod cloths forever, I thought I'd try Mothers Mag & Aluminium Polish 5oz which got good reviews. Every bit as good as Cape Cod and seems better value for money. Doesn't come with cloths and it's just the paste, but won't have a tendency to dry out either, which my Cape Cod cloths did recently despite being sealed

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
OP, I hate you. I have cape cod cloths and your thread inspired me to pull them out of the drawer and give my watch a nice polish. Everything was going just fine and I was so proud of my perfect polishing job, just as I was finishing cleaning it off it slipped out of my hands onto my tile floor.
IMG_1142.JPG

Oh well, I have AppleCare+ and I was hoping for an excuse to use up an accidental damage express replacement before it expires, the battery hasn't been that great anyway. :D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
OP, I hate you. I have cape cod cloths and your thread inspired me to pull them out of the drawer and give my watch a nice polish. Everything was going just fine and I was so proud of my perfect polishing job, just as I was finishing cleaning it off it slipped out of my hands onto my tile floor.
View attachment 699557

Oh well, I have AppleCare+ and I was hoping for an excuse to use up an accidental damage express replacement before it expires, the battery hasn't been that great anyway. :D

I imagine some profanity followed shortly after it hit the tile floor. But I agree, at least you have AppleCare for those unfortunate incidents.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
I imagine some profanity followed shortly after it hit the tile floor. But I agree, at least you have AppleCare for those unfortunate incidents.
Honestly, the AppleCare gives me so much peace of mind that I just laughed it off. Plus I have a second Apple Watch to wear in the meantime, Series 1 Space Grey. I'm about to live chat AppleCare and ask for an express replacement. Problem is it's Friday right now and I don't know if they deliver on weekends, I'm supposed to fly out to Jersey on Tuesday for a week. Might have to wait til I get back to California for them to send the replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.