Cappable Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thriii, Oct 26, 2007.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a wireless router that lets me cap the speed of one of the Connections to the router. I'm going to be connected Wired to my laptop and my xbox 360 since both are close and in my room and then wireless to my sisters comp in another room. I was lookin at the Linksys WRT54G but not sure if it allows me to cap the speed? and if it doesn't are there any programs or anything that allows this?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If you get that Linksys router then do the firmware upgrade to DD-WRT you'll get those options. Well worth the price (free).

3. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

if i get that router will it be any different from going straight from my modem to my macbook pro or my xbox live? i dont wanna have to mess around with configuring ports or any of that :confused:

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If you don't learn about ports now you will someday. Yes, any router you get will involve ports, although you won't necessarily have to do much about it. Unless you are going to be accessing different hardware from outside your home network, and/or if your Xbox live has its ports blocked for whatever reason.

Ultimately you won't have to do much (if anything at all) with port forwarding.