Cappable Wireless Router?

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
I'm looking for a wireless router that lets me cap the speed of one of the Connections to the router. I'm going to be connected Wired to my laptop and my xbox 360 since both are close and in my room and then wireless to my sisters comp in another room. I was lookin at the Linksys WRT54G but not sure if it allows me to cap the speed? and if it doesn't are there any programs or anything that allows this?

thriii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
if i get that router will it be any different from going straight from my modem to my macbook pro or my xbox live? i dont wanna have to mess around with configuring ports or any of that :confused:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
if i get that router will it be any different from going straight from my modem to my macbook pro or my xbox live? i dont wanna have to mess around with configuring ports or any of that :confused:
If you don't learn about ports now you will someday. Yes, any router you get will involve ports, although you won't necessarily have to do much about it. Unless you are going to be accessing different hardware from outside your home network, and/or if your Xbox live has its ports blocked for whatever reason.

Ultimately you won't have to do much (if anything at all) with port forwarding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.