Capping FPS tax Computer less?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Killery96, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Killery96 macrumors 6502

If I am on a 2011 i7 MBP with the 2.3 2820 i7, and 8gb, with the ATI 1gb GPU, I'll get high FPS on CoD4 max settings. Higher than my eyes can process. I don't need those frames. However, if I could cap the FPS and retain some GPU vent or CPU vent, I would love that to keep my Mac cool. In games, is it possible and theoretically correct to do this?

E.

2. doh123 macrumors 65816

Some games have a FPS cap built in you can set... if the game doesn't have a way built into it, then I'm not sure how you'd go about it.

Yes it can keep the work down on the CPU/GPU and keep the machine cooler... I always set a max if possible... usually 30 or 60 depending on the game and how fast things need to move.

Sometimes vertical sync (vsync) can keep things cooler, since it will cap it at the refresh rate of your screen (usually 60), but it also make some extra work because it has to keep the refresh in sync with the frames, so on most current games this wont help much if any at all...

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Usually turning on Verticle Sync (V-Sync or whatever a game wants to list it as) will allow you to cap the fps to what your monitor can process. You could do that and then turn on some other eye-candy, if you wanted. Some people swear by having the most-freaking-uberist-fracking-FPS-evar-man in multiplayer games, especially those using Unreal's engine, but if you don't notice a difference, then the preference is yours.

If you only need your GPU to be at 75% of max load, then yeah, I'd imagine it would be taxing your computer less, but I'm no engineer.

4. Killery96 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yup if I can, I'll cap it.

SC2 and WoW I have capped at 30FPS. Other games vsync as stated in the thread.

6. Killery96 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey aznguy you're the one who posted all the videos on Youtube! Great, I subbed. Um, but anyways, do you notice that the GPU and CPU are 'cooler' and 'quieter' or that your battery life is higher?

E

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Hey Guys,

OK, if you're capping the frame rate at 30 fps and you system pushes way beyond that, that's one thing, but contrary to what's been said in this thread, enabling VSYNC, especially at the HZ of the screen, generally requires more overhead on the GPU and can add more heat.

VSYNC can be very demanding, it's why consoles almost never enable it.

If your system can handle it, it's best to enable VSYNC at the 'same' HZ of your screen, as it eliminates screen-tearing. For the mentioned MacBook Pro and an old game like COD4, there's no problem whatsoever. But if you want to reduce heat, lower all the detail and resolution of the game.