Cappuccino machine

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Nov 25, 2008.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

What would be the best Cappuccino machine that is in the price range on 150.00 - 300.00?

2. bettykoyle macrumors regular

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As far as starbucks stuff goes, had two machines $200 or more and both were dead in a matter of months. We're talking no more than 2-4 cups per morning.

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

150 to 300 whats? Dollars? Pounds?

I have a Gaggia that I got for about £300 that has served me very well. It's the Baby D model.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Sorry Canadian dollars.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

For $300 Canadian, you may as well go to Timmy's and get one daily. ;) While you're at it, add a bagel to your order.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you say you want a "Cappuccino" machine, what exactly are you looking for in distinction to an espresso machine?

And some questions... relatively, do you have strong feelings on...

- Do you want to get a good grinder in the budget and grind beans yourself, do you want to use pods* or do you buy your coffee from good beaneries where you can get it appropriately ground for espresso use?

- How important is aesthetics vs. quality of espresso?

- Do you need one that can make a larger quantity of espresso, e.g. servings for two people at a time, or is that not important?

- How important is configurability / manual features vs. a highly automated machine that does everything for you?

* Options I personally look down upon. :p

I think one problem you'll run into is that a lot of the ones coffee fanatics really like cost more than your budget would allow.

8. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

I would recommend this, has worked well for years for me! Good for cappuccino and espresso making, too, and a good gift for the one you love ....

http://store.bialetticafe.com/bialetti-mukka-express.html?gclid=CPmvzJWilJcCFQJvswodVUaj9g

... works on the stove top... cleans up easy and quickly ... few part = good reliability, too, I think.

[​IMG]

9. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Why ask a Mac forum? There are tons of coffee forums out there, here's one:

http://www.wholelattelove.com/

10. Ivan José macrumors newbie

Ivan José

You may want (not) to try a Krups (http://www.krups.com).
    We have one in our research group and it has been fostering many philosophical debates, like: why do we never get a good foam? why does this bloody machine always leak? etc.

Ivan

11. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

In that price range, deffinitely a Krups. And please do not get a FND1. I have one, and though it works as published, you'll want a higher pressure machine to get a better tasting esspresso. The FND1 is only good for newbies (like me). :D

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

13. cube macrumors G4

I always see espresso machines with a vapor pipe. Cappuccino machines seem rare and expensive.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I still don't completely understand... and Google isn't my friend on this one. :eek: What is the difference between an espresso machine and a cappuccino machine? For that matter, what is a cappuccino machine?

15. cube macrumors G4

A cappuccino machine has a hose going into a milk container (which could be housed in a cooler), and the head has one pipe serving cofeee and another serving foamy hot milk.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, really, so instead of just a steamer to steam / froth the milk, innit? Interesting. I guess it makes the whole thing easier? The only nuisance with the steamer on espresso machines is cleaning it. :(

Thanks for the enlightenment!

17. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I've got something like this too. Works well, though most baristas would probably tell you that due to the process it uses, it's not 'real' espresso. Guess they're technically correct, but it does seem to work well.

To the OP -- you may want to check out this list. Alton Brown did a show on espresso once, and someone went through the trouble of figuring out all the equipment he used and made an Amazon list containing all of it. Part of the episode was on how to get good results without spending a ton of money. The espresso machine on the list is around $300 and seems to get good reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Espresso...lm/R1ZWCSK4SVPJAM/ref=cm_lmt_srch_f_2_rsrsrs0